Rectifier - Regulator integration

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of a rectifier and regulator, with both working fine when simulated independently. However, when connected, the regulated output is not visible. The user has attached snapshots of the rectifier, regulator, and reference voltage generator and mentions using a 4-stage rectifier with a current output of 2uA. The conversation also mentions a regulated output voltage of -0.5V and questions why this is happening.
shaikss
Hi Folks,

I have designed a rectifier and a regulator as independent entities. Both of these blocks are working fine when simulated in virtuoso independently. But when I integrate them, i.e when I connect regulator to rectifier, I am unable to see regulated output. I have attached the snapshot of rectifier and regulator blocks. For regulator, I have used another circuit to derive reference voltage Vref. Note: I have used 4-stage rectifier for which the current at the output of the rectifier is 2uA. Pls let me know why it is happening so. The first snapshot is the regulator ckt and the second one is reference voltage generator for regulator and the third is single stage rectifier block. I have used 4-stages for the rectifier. I see a regulated output voltage of -0.5V when the rectified dc voltage is saturated to 1V.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello Shaikss... No snapshots.

2uA - in simulation? - that is essentially 0 current...sounds like no load. I do not know what is meant be 4 stage rectifier - although someone else use the term in the last few weeks, perhaps a language thing.

I'll wait for the images

1. What is a rectifier-regulator integration?

A rectifier-regulator integration is a combination of two electronic components, a rectifier and a regulator, that work together to convert AC voltage to DC voltage and regulate the output to a consistent level.

2. Why is a rectifier-regulator integration important?

A rectifier-regulator integration is important because it is often used in electronic devices that require a steady and reliable source of DC voltage, such as computers and other electronic equipment. It also helps to protect the device from voltage surges and fluctuations.

3. How does a rectifier-regulator integration work?

The rectifier part of the integration converts the AC voltage from a power source into DC voltage, while the regulator part ensures that the output voltage remains at a constant level despite fluctuations in the input voltage. The two components work together to provide a steady and reliable source of DC voltage.

4. What are the different types of rectifier-regulator integration?

There are several types of rectifier-regulator integration, including half-wave, full-wave, and bridge rectifiers. Each type has its own unique circuit configuration and performance characteristics, but they all serve the same purpose of converting and regulating AC voltage to DC voltage.

5. Can a rectifier-regulator integration fail?

Yes, a rectifier-regulator integration can fail due to various reasons, such as overloading, component aging, and voltage surges. It is important to regularly check and maintain the integration to ensure proper functioning and prevent any potential failures.