Recurrence relation for an integral equation

In summary, the problem is that the indefinite integral I_n is undefined for n>=2. The first equation gives the recurrence equation for I_n, and the second equation gives the integral for I_n+1. Unfortunately, the first equation does not agree with the calculations from above with a fixed n.
aperception
Hi guys, would appreciate any help with this problem. It's from a graduate school entrance examination which I am practicing.

problem statement

When n is a natural number, the indefinite integral [itex]I_n[/itex] is defined as

[itex]I_n=\int\frac{1}{(x^2+a^2)^n}dx[/itex]

Here, a is a constant real number, and not equal to zero. Answer the following questions.

1. Express [itex]I_{n+1}[/itex] as a recurrence equation with [itex]I_n[/itex].
2. Derive [itex]I_1[/itex] and [itex]I_2[/itex]

where I'm at
I can solve part 2 relatively easily by using the trigonometric substitution [itex]x=a \tan\theta[/itex] which gives the result (feel free to ask for working if you don't believe me):

[itex]I_n=\frac{1}{a^{2n-1}}\int(\cos\theta)^{2n-2}d\theta[/itex]

or:

[itex]I_{n+1}=\frac{1}{a^{2n+1}}\int(\cos\theta)^{2n} d\theta[/itex]

these are fairly easy to solve for fixed values of n using basic integration and backwards substitutions such as [itex]\tan\theta=(x/a)[/itex] etc, giving:

[itex]I_1=\arctan(x/a)/a[/itex]

[itex]I_2=\arctan(x/a)/(2a^3)+\frac{x}{2a^2(x^2+a^2)} [/itex]

but I don't know how to generalize to the final recurrence equation.

attempted solution
I tried to solve the original equation using integration by parts by writing:

[itex]I_{n+1}=\int\frac{1}{(x^2+a^2)^n}\frac{1}{(x^2+a^2)}dx[/itex]

then setting:
[itex]u=\frac{1}{(x^2+a^2)}[/itex], [itex]v'=\frac{1}{(x^2+a^2)^n}[/itex]

[itex]u'=\frac{-2x}{(x^2+a^2)^2}[/itex], [itex]v=I_n[/itex]

this gives:
[itex]I_{n+1}=\frac{I_n}{(x^2+a^2)}+\int\frac{I_n 2x}{(x^2+a^2)^2}dx[/itex]

but this doesn't agree with the calculations from above with fixed n, so it must be wrong. (I presume [itex]v=I_n[/itex] is invalid for some reason?).

Unfortunately I don't really have any ideas on where to go from here...?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try the following: (I haven't checked it out myself, so it may be bogus.)

[itex]\displaystyle I_n=\int\frac{1}{(x^2+a^2)^n}dx[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle =\int\frac{x^2+a^2}{(x^2+a^2)^{(n+1)}}dx[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle =a^2I_{n+1}+\int (x)\,\frac{x}{(x^2+a^2)^{(n+1)}}dx[/itex]

Now try integration by parts: u = x, [itex]\displaystyle dv=\frac{x}{(x^2+a^2)^{(n+1)}}dx[/itex]​

Last edited:
That is very clever, it worked great thank you!

1. What is a recurrence relation for an integral equation?

A recurrence relation for an integral equation is an equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to solve differential and integral equations by expressing the solution in terms of previous values of the function.

2. How is a recurrence relation different from a differential or integral equation?

A recurrence relation is different from a differential or integral equation in that it involves a recursive relationship between the function and its derivatives, while a differential or integral equation involves only a single equation.

3. What is the purpose of using a recurrence relation for an integral equation?

The purpose of using a recurrence relation for an integral equation is to simplify the solution process and to express the solution in a more manageable form. It also allows for the solution to be calculated step by step, instead of trying to solve the entire equation at once.

4. Can a recurrence relation be used for any type of integral equation?

Yes, a recurrence relation can be used for any type of integral equation, including both definite and indefinite integrals. It is a versatile tool for solving a wide range of mathematical problems.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using a recurrence relation for an integral equation?

One limitation of using a recurrence relation for an integral equation is that it may not always yield an exact solution. In some cases, it may only provide an approximation or an iterative solution. Additionally, the complexity of the recurrence relation may increase with higher orders of derivatives, making it more difficult to solve.