RedOx question

somasimple
Gold Member
Hi,

In electro-chemical cells (galvanic, concentration, etc) or more generally when some RedOx reactions occur in solutes, is there always a phase change?
I mean is there always a change in the state of matter from liquid to solid or gas?

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor
No.

Pt|Fe2+(aq),Fe3+(aq)||Ce4+(aq),Ce3+(aq)|Pt

(I haven't used cell notation in ages, chances are I did some mistake, but you should get the idea).

somasimple
Gold Member
May we say that the use of Platinum is certainly a special case?
Can I rephrase my sentence like that?
In electro-chemical cells (galvanic, concentration, etc) or more generally when some RedOx reactions occur in solutes containing the ionic form of the metal that made the electrode, is there always a phase change?
I mean is there always a change in the state of matter from liquid to solid or gas?

Borek
Mentor
Well, if you specifically ask for a reaction in which the reactant and product are in different phases then the phase change seems inevitable, doesn't it?

Likes somasimple
somasimple
Gold Member
You're The Man!

There are plenty of redox reactions that occur entirely in solution, particularly among transition metal ions. Oxyhalide ions like bromate and hyopchlorite also effect oxidations without a phase change. A butane lighter is an example of gas-phase redox chemistry.

Batteries are a special case, since you almost always have a metallic anode.