Yes! Monochromatic Blue Light Can Reflect Red Light

• Thread starter actionintegral
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary: and blue light l_i = 480 nm = h*(1 - cos(teta))/c*(480-600) = 0.3then, after scattering, the light would have a wavelenght of:m = h*(1 - cos(teta))/c*(l_f - l_i) = 0.7
actionintegral
Hello everybody,

Is it possible for monochromatic blue light to strike an object and
be reflected as monochromatic red light?

Science news on Phys.org
No. monochromatic blue light has a specific wavelength and red light another. If the surface of which the light reflects is painted red, it will absorb the blue light (it looks red under white light because it only reflects red and absorbs other colors) and so will look black.

That is an interesting question. What if the mirror were moving? If the mirror were retreating from the observer, might the light get redshifted? The speed of the lightwaves would still b c for the mirror, but the mirror is in motion wrt the observer, so could the observer shine a blue light on a moving mirror and see red light coming back?

Good point. I would expect that to be the case.

I don't think it's related with motion. Because, it is impossible to move a reflecter with the speed of light's. It's similar to speed of light waves. The answer is neither reasonable nor practical. I think it can be about the structure of the reflecter. Assume a reflecter that can observe all colors apart from red. Maybe it can be a semi-lens. It can make it possible to reflect a red light from a blue one, I think.

Bouncing it off a mirror should doppler shift it, as lurch mentioned. It can also be color shifted if it exchanges momentum with the (very light) mirror.

A better method might be using special crystals like the down-converters used for entanglement experiments, or the frequency doublers applied to monochromatic IR light in monochromatic green laser pointers.

cevdet.erturk said:
I don't think it's related with motion. Because, it is impossible to move a reflecter with the speed of light's.
I don't see anything wrong with Lurch's amusing example (although it's probably not the situation the OP had in mind). There's no need for the mirror to be moving at the speed of light, just that the relative speed of the light source and mirror be some significant fraction of light speed. From the mirror frame, the light appears redshifted. The mirror reflects that light, just like any mirror does. The source frame sees that reflected light redshifted again.

From the mirror frame, the light appears redshifted. The mirror reflects that light, just like any mirror does

Good point Doc; hadn't thought of looking at the color shift from the mirror's perspective. So the mirror still sees the light coming at the same speed, but red-shifted when it arrives.

But you are right about this solution being impracticle, cedvet. I mean, maybe one could have the mirror vibrating in place, and time the blue light in pulses that only strike while the mirror is retreating, but I don't think the mirror could be made to vibrate fast enough to get a significant (visible to the naked eye) change in color.

Last edited:
LURCH said:
I don't think the mirror could be made to vibrate fast enough to get a significant (visible to the naked eye) change in color.

What I mean was this. I think we should gain some more information about the structure of monochromatic blue light. Maybe it can make the problem easier.

Hey now... I say, old Lurch, I suspect that you might have hit on something there. Hmmm...
I know that there are eavesdropping devices that measure the shift of laser light reflected from windows, which vibrate in response to sounds inside a building. One might be able to build a little desk-top experiment with a cheap laser, a small piece of mirror attached to a piezo crystal, a variable oscillator, and the detector of one's choice. If there is a system to synchronize the laser firing to the stroke cycle of the crystal, you could have constant red or blue shifts occurring. Maybe... hmmm...

Or maybe multiple mirrors, each one shifting the wavelength a bit further into the red...

I like that idea on the face of it, but I don't really know anything about mirrors, so how that would be achieved is a mystery to me. I would suspect that your mirror would have to be composed of a material that absorbs at one wavelength and re-emits at a lower one. Am I missing something?

actionintegral said:
What if the mechanism of reflection was compton scattering?
The mechanism could be right, to decrease a photon's wavelenght, but it's not possible to use it in practice, because the difference in wavelenght from red to blue is too high and it would require a too light particle for the collision:

m = h*(1 - cos(teta))/c*(l_f - l_i)

where l_f and l_i are the wavelenghts after and before the scattering, respectively. So, assuming, for instance:

red light l_f = 600 nm = 600*10^(-9) m and blue light l_i = 500 nm --> l_f - l_i = 100 nm = 10^(-7) m
and 1-cos(teta) = 2:

m = 6.6*10^(-34)/10^(-7)*3*10^8 = 2.2*10^(-35) Kg

that is, about 50,000 times lighter than the electron.

Danger said:
I like that idea on the face of it, but I don't really know anything about mirrors, so how that would be achieved is a mystery to me. I would suspect that your mirror would have to be composed of a material that absorbs at one wavelength and re-emits at a lower one. Am I missing something?

Not the material, but the reflection off of a moving mirror suggested in my earlier post. The light pulse could be timed to strike a mirror while that mirror was retreating, and bounce to another mirror timed so that the pulse arrives when that second mirror is retreating, and so on through a series of mirrors. Theoretically, the light should get shifted slightly toward the red each time it reflects.

With n reflections on mirrors all of which moves at a speed v, you have:

(l_blue/l_red)^2 = ((c-v)/(c+v))^n

where l_blue is the wavelenght of blue light and l_red the w. of the red.

From this relation you can determine v knowing n or vice versa.

LURCH said:
Not the material, but the reflection off of a moving mirror suggested in my earlier post.
Okay, thanks for the clarification.

Lightarrow, excellent responses. :cool:

Thank you Danger!

What is monochromatic blue light and how does it reflect red light?

Monochromatic blue light refers to light that contains only one wavelength of blue light. When this light hits an object, it may reflect some of the blue light and absorb the rest. However, if the object is a red surface, the blue light may be absorbed and then re-emitted as red light, resulting in the appearance of the object being red.

Why is it important to study the reflection of red light by monochromatic blue light?

Understanding how different wavelengths of light interact with each other is important for various applications, such as in photography, color printing, and even in the development of new technologies. By studying how monochromatic blue light reflects red light, we can gain a better understanding of the properties of light and how it interacts with different materials.

Can monochromatic blue light reflect any other colors besides red light?

Yes, monochromatic blue light can reflect other colors besides red light. The specific color that is reflected depends on the material that the light is hitting. For example, if the light hits a yellow surface, it may reflect yellow light, but if it hits a black surface, it may not reflect any light at all.

What factors can affect the reflection of red light by monochromatic blue light?

The reflection of red light by monochromatic blue light can be affected by various factors, including the type of material being hit by the light, the angle at which the light is hitting the material, and the intensity or brightness of the light. Additionally, the properties of the blue light itself, such as its wavelength and polarization, can also play a role in the reflection of red light.

How can the knowledge of monochromatic blue light reflecting red light be applied in real-world scenarios?

The understanding of how monochromatic blue light reflects red light can be applied in various fields, such as in the development of new lighting technologies, color reproduction in photography and printing, and even in the study of biological and chemical processes. It can also help us create more accurate color displays and improve our overall understanding of light and its behavior.