1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Refrigeration: The Equivalent Rate of Transport of Heat in Watts?

1. Sep 12, 2009 #1
    A 1.2 ton air conditioner has the capacity to freeze 2400 lb of ice at 0°C in a day. What is the equivalent rate of transport of heat in watts?

QH(out)= QL(in) + Wi
    Coefficient of Performance= QL/ (QH-QL)
    Coefficient of Performance of an Ideal System: TL/ (TH-TL)
    QL/QH= TL/TH

I really don't know where to begin with this problem. I know 1.2 tons is equal to 2400lbs. So, the air conditioner and the amount of meat it freezes is a 1 to 1 ratio, but what does any of that have to do with the problem? I'm not given the heat-out or heat-in so how could I possibly calculate the transport of heat in watts? The solution to a similar problem (1 ton air conditioner and 2000lbs of meat is 3.5kW), but I need to know how to solve these type of problems.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2009 #2
    Take a good look at the definition of "1 ton of Refrigeration". Find out how many kJ/s or (Watts) that one ton of refrigeration is equivalent to.

Thanks
    Matt

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  4. Sep 12, 2009 #3
    Thanks! That was a lot simpler than I expected it to be.

5. Sep 12, 2009 #4
    Glad that I could help.

Thanks
    Matt

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook