Refrigeration: The Equivalent Rate of Transport of Heat in Watts?

In summary, the conversation discusses the capacity of a 1.2 ton air conditioner to freeze 2400 lbs of ice in a day and the equivalent rate of heat transport in watts. The solution to a similar problem is also mentioned, with the need for understanding the definition of "1 ton of Refrigeration".
chunkytuna21
A 1.2 ton air conditioner has the capacity to freeze 2400 lb of ice at 0°C in a day. What is the equivalent rate of transport of heat in watts?

QH(out)= QL(in) + Wi
Coefficient of Performance= QL/ (QH-QL)
Coefficient of Performance of an Ideal System: TL/ (TH-TL)
QL/QH= TL/TH

I really don't know where to begin with this problem. I know 1.2 tons is equal to 2400lbs. So, the air conditioner and the amount of meat it freezes is a 1 to 1 ratio, but what does any of that have to do with the problem? I'm not given the heat-out or heat-in so how could I possibly calculate the transport of heat in watts? The solution to a similar problem (1 ton air conditioner and 2000lbs of meat is 3.5kW), but I need to know how to solve these type of problems.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a good look at the definition of "1 ton of Refrigeration". Find out how many kJ/s or (Watts) that one ton of refrigeration is equivalent to.

Thanks
Matt

Last edited:
Thanks! That was a lot simpler than I expected it to be.

Glad that I could help.

Thanks
Matt

1. What is the equivalent rate of transport of heat in watts?

The equivalent rate of transport of heat in watts is a measure of the amount of heat energy that is transferred per unit time, measured in watts (W). It indicates the rate at which a refrigeration system can remove heat from a space or substance.

2. How is the equivalent rate of transport of heat in watts calculated?

The equivalent rate of transport of heat in watts is calculated by dividing the amount of heat energy transferred (in joules) by the time it takes to transfer that heat (in seconds). This can be expressed as W = J/s.

3. What factors affect the equivalent rate of transport of heat in watts?

The equivalent rate of transport of heat in watts is affected by several factors, including the type and efficiency of the refrigeration system, the temperature difference between the refrigerated space and the surrounding environment, and the amount of heat being generated within the space.

4. Why is the equivalent rate of transport of heat in watts important in refrigeration?

The equivalent rate of transport of heat in watts is important in refrigeration because it determines how quickly and effectively a refrigeration system can remove heat from a space or substance. This is crucial for maintaining the desired temperature and preserving the quality of perishable items such as food and medicine.

5. How can the equivalent rate of transport of heat in watts be increased?

The equivalent rate of transport of heat in watts can be increased by improving the efficiency of the refrigeration system, reducing the temperature difference between the refrigerated space and the surrounding environment, and minimizing the heat sources within the space. Regular maintenance and proper sizing of the system can also help to improve the equivalent rate of transport of heat in watts.