Regarding modeling of light bulb circuit

In summary: The power radiated as light from the bulb, lost to heating air, etc. are part of the i2R term, not in addition to it.
elegysix
Hello, I'm trying to apply conservation of energy to a lightbulb circuit, but I can't think of what term should be included for heat loss / convection / conduction

Here's what I've got
Pin = Pradiated + i2Rwire, connections, etc + Power lost to heating surroundings? (what can I use for that?) c(T-T0)?

Are there any other terms I should include?
thanks

Science news on Phys.org
The power lost to heating the surroundings is a component of the power radiated from the bulb, i.e., not all of the energy coming out of the bulb is visible light. The amount of power radiated is proportional to the difference in the fourth power of the absolute temperatures (Stefan-Boltzmann Law) of the body and its surroundings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan–Boltzmann_law

I intended for Pradiated = Stefan-Boltzmann law.
But there is power lost to heating the air which is not from radiation, right? what could I use for that term?

The power radiated as light from the bulb, lost to heating air, etc. are part of the i2R term, not in addition to it.

In an alternating-current circuit you also have some energy radiated in the form of electromagnetic waves at the AC frequency. That is, the circuit acts like a radio antenna although at much lower frequency. I don't have any equations handy, but I'm sure this effect is very small unless the circuit is specifically designed to work as an antenna.

jtbell said:
The power radiated as light from the bulb, lost to heating air, etc. are part of the i2R term, not in addition to it.

In an alternating-current circuit you also have some energy radiated in the form of electromagnetic waves at the AC frequency. That is, the circuit acts like a radio antenna although at much lower frequency. I don't have any equations handy, but I'm sure this effect is very small unless the circuit is specifically designed to work as an antenna.

I think he's referring to the R losses in the supply.

Different filament bulbs of the same nominal power will radiate different powers of optical light. It will depend upon the shape and length of the filament (coil or coiled coil) and it would need actual measurements to characterise a particular bulb. Heat lost to the surroundings will depend upon the size of the glass envelope, the gas it's filled with and the cables conduct heat away.
This is not hard to do in an arm waving sort of a way but pretty difficult if you want to make an accurate prediction.

Likes 1 person
just in case if your wondering , well if the bulb is incandescent one then it emitts only 5 to 10% in visible light , the rest or up to 90% and more (depending on the bulb type) goes away as heat or infrared.
This is not a precise calculation but those are some approximate numbers that are true.

1. How does a light bulb circuit function?

A light bulb circuit works by allowing electricity to flow from a power source (such as a battery) through a wire to the light bulb, causing it to illuminate. The circuit is completed when the electricity returns to the power source through another wire.

2. What is the purpose of a resistor in a light bulb circuit?

A resistor is used in a light bulb circuit to regulate the flow of electricity. Without a resistor, too much electricity would flow through the circuit and potentially damage the light bulb or other components.

3. How does the brightness of a light bulb depend on its circuit?

The brightness of a light bulb depends on the amount of current (measured in amps) flowing through the circuit. The more current that flows, the brighter the light bulb will be. This can be controlled by adjusting the voltage and resistance in the circuit.

4. How does the type of light bulb affect the circuit?

The type of light bulb can affect the circuit in terms of the amount of resistance it offers. For example, incandescent light bulbs have a higher resistance compared to LED light bulbs, which means they require more voltage to produce the same amount of light.

5. Can a light bulb circuit be dangerous?

There is a potential for danger in any electrical circuit, including a light bulb circuit. However, as long as the circuit is properly designed and installed, and all safety precautions are followed, the risk of danger is minimal. It is important to always handle electricity with caution and seek professional assistance if needed.