Regarding ' The Electric field inside a non conducting shell '

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric field inside a uniformly charged non-conducting spherical shell, along with a point charge external to the shell. The use of superposition principle and Gauss law is mentioned, with the conclusion that the electric field must be zero inside the shell due to no charge being enclosed in a Gaussian surface inside the shell. However, there seems to be a fault in this reasoning and further help is requested. The shape of the shell is also mentioned and it is clarified that it is a spherical shell. The conversation ends with a hint to consider the symmetry when finding the field generated by the spherical shell inside itself.
Uday

Homework Statement

There is a Uniformly charged Non conducting Spherical shell along with a point charge external to the shell . they make up an isolated system . Find the electric field inside the shell .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Actually using superposition principle we obtain that the field is actually non zero . But in order to calculate the electric field inside the shell if i use gauss law by considering a gaussian surface inside the shell ... there will be no charge enclosed in it so by gauss law the flux is zero . since in that case ∫E.da = E∫da which is equal to zero . Since ∫da is non zero E must be zero ...
I guess there is some fault with this but I am unable to find it out . So please can u help me .
And thanks for sparing ur valuable time to read this .

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Uday said:
∫E.da = E∫da
That will not be true in general. Is anything known about the shape of the shell?

haruspex said:
That will not be true in general. Is anything known about the shape of the shell?

Im sorry that's a spherical shell
and i have edited my question .

Last edited:
Hello Uday

Uday said:
Actually using superposition principle we obtain that the field is actually non zero . But in order to calculate the electric field inside the shell if i use gauss law by considering a gaussian surface inside the shell ... there will be no charge enclosed in it so by gauss law the flux is zero . since in that case ∫E.da = E∫da which is equal to zero . Since ∫da is non zero E must be zero ...
I guess there is some fault with this but I am unable to find it out . So please can u help me .
And thanks for sparing ur valuable time to read this .

I think the problem lies in concluding that if the flux across the gaussian spherical surface is zero ,then the electric field is zero .

What is your reasoning behind moving E out of the integral ∫E.ds ?

Likes 1 person
Ya ... that's ryt E isn't constant ...

Uday said:
Im sorry that's a spherical shell
and i have edited my question .
OK, so forget the point charge for the moment. What field does a uniformly charged spherical shell generate inside itself?
Hint: when considering a Gaussian shell placed concentrically inside it, think about the symmetry.

1. What is a non-conducting shell?

A non-conducting shell, also known as an insulating shell, is a material that does not allow electric charges to flow through it easily. This means that it does not conduct electricity like metals do, but rather acts as an electrical insulator.

2. What is the electric field inside a non-conducting shell?

The electric field inside a non-conducting shell is zero. This is because the charges inside the shell are distributed evenly on the surface and do not create an electric field inside the shell.

3. How is the electric field inside a non-conducting shell different from a conducting shell?

A conducting shell allows electric charges to flow through it easily, creating an electric field inside the shell. This is because the charges on the surface of the conducting shell can move freely, unlike in a non-conducting shell where they are fixed in place.

4. What is the use of studying the electric field inside a non-conducting shell?

Studying the electric field inside a non-conducting shell can help us understand the behavior of electric charges and how they interact with different materials. It also has practical applications in industries such as electrostatics and electronics.

5. Can the electric field inside a non-conducting shell be affected by external electric fields?

No, the electric field inside a non-conducting shell is not affected by external electric fields. This is because the charges inside the shell are insulated and cannot be influenced by external forces. The only way to change the electric field inside a non-conducting shell is by changing the distribution of charges on the surface of the shell.