Relation between commutator, unitary matrix, and hermitian exponential operator

For the second question, use the fact that exp(M) can be written as a power series in M.In summary, to show that U=exp(iC), where U is a unitary matrix and C is a hermitian operator, we can first diagonalize U and then use the power series expansion of exp(M) to express U in terms of C. Additionally, for the condition that U=A+iB, we can show that A and B commute by using the commutator and considering the real matrix properties of A and B.
silverdiesel

Homework Statement

Show that one can write U=exp(iC), where U is a unitary matrix, and C is a hermitian operator. If U=A+iB, show that A and B commute. Express these matrices in terms of C. Assum exp(M) = 1+M+M^2/2!...

Homework Equations

U=exp(iC)
C=C*
U*U=I
U=A+iB
exp(M) = sum over n: ((M)^n)/n!

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really stumped. I tried (A+iB)(A*-iB*)=I, and I can get the commutator to come out of that, but I have these A*A and B*B terms which I am unsure how to use. I am also not using the exponential term in any way. I know it has something to do with the taylor expansion, just not sure how to get A+iB into that expansion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that A and B are real matrices. For the first question, try diagonalizing U first.

Last edited:

What is a commutator?

A commutator is a mathematical operation that measures the failure of two operations to commute with each other. In other words, it measures how much the order of the operations affects the final outcome.

What is a unitary matrix?

A unitary matrix is a square matrix whose conjugate transpose is equal to its inverse. In simpler terms, it is a matrix that preserves the length of vectors and the angles between them.

How are unitary matrices and hermitian exponential operators related?

Unitary matrices and hermitian exponential operators are related through the spectral theorem. This theorem states that a unitary matrix can be diagonalized by a change of basis to a hermitian exponential operator, which represents a rotation in complex space.

What is the significance of the relation between commutator, unitary matrix, and hermitian exponential operator?

The relation between these three mathematical concepts is significant because it provides a deeper understanding of the underlying structure of quantum mechanics. It also allows for the simplification and calculation of complex quantum systems.

How is the commutator used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the commutator is used to determine whether two operators are compatible or not. If the commutator of two operators is equal to zero, then the two operations can be performed in any order without affecting the final outcome. This is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that helps us understand the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale.