1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship Between Velocities of Two Runners

1. May 30, 2015 #1

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Reginald is out for a morning jog, and during the course of his run on a straight track, he has a velocity that depends upon time as shown in the figure below. That is, he begins at rest, and ends at rest, peaking at a maximum velocity Vmax at an arbitrary time tmax. A second runner, Josie, runs throughout the time interval t = 0 to t = t f at a constant speed Vj, so that each has the same displacement during the time interval. Note: t f is NOT twice t max , but represents an arbitrary time. What is relation between Vj and tmax?

2. Relevant equations
    Position equation for constant acceleration: X=Xi+Vi+1/2AT2
    Velocity Equation for constant acceleration: V=Vi+AT
    Position Equation for constant velocity: X=Xi+VT

2-figure-35.gif

3. The attempt at a solution

Not sure what to do really, so I've just been trying things.
    The only commonality between the two runners is the final position X and the time tf

For Josie, X = Vjtf

For Reginald:
    Velocity:
    From ti to tmax, Vmax = Atmax
    From tmax to tf, since Vf = 0, the equation is: 0 = Vmax + Atf

Position:
    From ti to tmax, initial displacement and velocity are zero: X1 = 1/2Atmax2
    From tmax to tf: X = X1 + Vmaxtf + 1/2Atf2

Since X = Vjtf, we can rewrite the above equation as: Vjtf = X1 + Vmaxtf + Atf2
    Replacing X1 with its equation: Vjtf = 1/2Atmax2+ Vmaxtf + Atf2

That's about as far as I've gotten and I don't know if I'm even on the right track.

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2015 #2

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Distance travelled is the integral of velocity over time -- the area under the velocity versus time graph. Given that, the problem turns into a simple geometric exercise. One needn't bother with any equations at all.

4. May 30, 2015 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Thanks Jbriggs. Apparently the question was asking about Vmax, not Tmax, as Vj = 1/2 Vmax is the correct answer. (Which wouldn't have helped me prior to your post anyways, I still had no idea to look for the area under the graph)

Edit: Just so I don't look like an idiot, the question I posted was a literal copy and paste. I didn't just misread Vmax as Tmax. :-p

Last edited: May 30, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted