Relative Acceleration: Calculating Heather's Acceleration Relative to Jill

In summary, the students are discussing the kinematics of two cars, with Heather accelerating at 3i - 2j m/s^2 and Jill accelerating at 1i+3j m/s^2, both starting from rest at the origin of an xy coordinate system. The students must determine Heather's speed with respect to Jill, the distance between them, and Heather's acceleration relative to Jill using the equations of kinematics.
student 1

Homework Statement

Heather in her Corvette accelerates at the rate of 3i -2j (m/s^2) while Jill accelerates at 1i+3j (m/s^2). They both start from rest at the origin of an xy coordinate system. After 5 seconds A. what is Heather's speed with respect to Jill. B. How far apart are they? C. what is Heather's acceleration relative to Jill?

Homework Equations

unit Vector subtraction

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the acceleration is simply subtracting Jill from heather. I believe the speed is multiplying both of them by 5 then subtracting jill from heather. How do you determine the distance? Or would the distance be how I am doing speed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember your kinematics:

[tex] s = s_0 + v_0 \cdot t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]
[tex] v =a \cdot t + v_0[/tex]

and so on...

Now determine what you know and which formula to use.

Would you subtract the two vectors for the distance or would you add them? I'm just making sure that you add them, because in the other two parts you subtract.

Hi student 1! :smile:
student 1 said:
Would you subtract the two vectors for the distance or would you add them? I'm just making sure that you add them, because in the other two parts you subtract.

Not following you … what other two parts? :confused:

Jill is an inertial observer (as is Heather, of course), so you can use the Newtonian principle of Relativity and "go with Jill", and still get the right results.

So once you've found the relative acceleration, apply that to everything, just as if Jill were stationary. :smile:

Like the Acceleration of Heather with respect to Jill looks like
Ah+Ahj= Aj so Ahj=Aj-Ah. with vectors.

Hi student_1,

student 1 said:
Like the Acceleration of Heather with respect to Jill looks like
Ah+Ahj= Aj so Ahj=Aj-Ah. with vectors.

I don't think your equation here is quite right--there seem to be some sign errors.

But about whether to add or subtract to find the distance, try picking some easy cases you can see right away. What if the positions of the objects are at x=3 and x=7? or perhaps at x=-4 and x=4?

(Of course, this is just to determine if it's an addition or subtraction. Since your vectors are a two-dimensional case you have some more steps to do to find the distance.)

I know this is from last year, but I figured that I would add a response that I think would make more sense.

If Jill's acceleration is represented by the vector 1 i + 3 j, then her velocity would be represented by the vector 1t i + 3t j by take the integral of the acceleration vector. Then, plugging in t = 5s, Vj = 5 i + 15 j.

Likewise, Heather's velocity would wind up being 15 i - 10 j.

Then, the relative velocity would be Vh - Vj = 10 i -25 j or 26.9 m/s.

The rest of the problem can be done the same way.

Related to Relative Acceleration: Calculating Heather's Acceleration Relative to Jill

What is relative acceleration?

Relative acceleration is the change in velocity of an object with respect to another object. It is the difference between the accelerations of the two objects.

How is relative acceleration calculated?

Relative acceleration is calculated by subtracting the acceleration of one object from the acceleration of another object. This can be done using vector subtraction.

What is an example of relative acceleration?

An example of relative acceleration is the movement of a car and a bike on a road. The car may be accelerating at a constant rate, while the bike is accelerating at a slower rate. Therefore, the relative acceleration between the two objects is the difference in their accelerations.

Is relative acceleration the same as relative velocity?

No, relative acceleration and relative velocity are different concepts. Relative velocity is the difference in the velocities of two objects, while relative acceleration is the difference in the accelerations of two objects.

Why is relative acceleration important in physics?

Relative acceleration is important in physics because it helps us understand the motion of objects in relation to each other. It allows us to analyze the relative speeds and accelerations of objects and how they affect each other's motion.