Relative Motion & Rotation of Axes of Reference

In summary, the concept of 4-velocity allows for a mathematical and graphical representation of an object's velocity in a 3D universe with 2 spatial dimensions and 1 time dimension. This representation involves converting units of distance and time to a common unit using the conversion factor of the speed of light, and can be further simplified by using "natural" units where the speed of light is equal to 1. However, in order for this representation to be accurate, there must be a fundamental relation between units of distance and time, and the value of the speed of light itself can be used to calculate this relationship.
Holystromboli
I'm still very early on in my reading, so forgive me if this question isn't coherent. In the "historical introduction" section of the 1920 University of Calcutta translation of the original papers of Einstein and Minkowski available via the MIT online archive, mention is made of the fact that "in the spacetime reality, relative motion is reduced to a rotation of the axes of reference," but no mathematical or graphical representation of this concept is given. Does this imply that the velocity (this isn't a good word for what I mean here but it's the best I could do:) ) of an object relative to an assumed stationary point can be described by a 4 component vector (3 space components and one time) with magnitude c such that the combined magnitude of the 3 spatial components defines the "observed spatial velocity" of the object?

Physics news on Phys.org
Holystromboli said:
Does this imply that the velocity (this isn't a good word for what I mean here but it's the best I could do:) ) of an object relative to an assumed stationary point can be described by a 4 component vector (3 space components and one time) with magnitude c such that the combined magnitude of the 3 spatial components defines the "observed spatial velocity" of the object?

Yes. See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-velocity

Wow. That is pretty awesome stuff. Thanks for the link. I read through it, but I'm still a bit confused. I took a lot of undergraduate level advanced math classes (impressive, I know :p ), but it's been a loonnngggg time. I can understand the need to delineate "proper time" from time as defined at the stationary observation point, but even with that in mind I'm struggling in my understanding of the units involved. Don't units matter when calculating the component vectors? If the component vector in spatial dimension x is given in in/min and y in m/s, you'd have to convert to common units before the resultant magnitude could be calculated correctly, right? How does this principle apply to the fourth component vector for time? If my assumption were correct, it would imply that there must be a fundamental relation between units of distance and time (e.g. the number of seconds in a meter) in order for us to be able to convert to common units, and this by extension would imply the existence of a unitless value for c, which I've never heard of. What am I missing? Or can we use the value of c itself to calculate an absolute number of seconds in a meter? Also, do you have a reference for a visual and mathematical representation of these concepts for a 3D universe containing 2 space and 1 time dimensions?

Holystromboli said:
even with that in mind I'm struggling in my understanding of the units involved.

In the units used in the Wikipedia page, 4-velocity has the same units as ordinary velocity (see further comments below).

In "natural" units commonly used in relativity, in which ##c = 1## by definition, velocities (4-velocity and 3-velocity) have no units; they are unitless numbers. This amounts to using the same units for time and space (again, see further comments below).

Holystromboli said:
If the component vector in spatial dimension x is given in in/min and y in m/s, you'd have to convert to common units before the resultant magnitude could be calculated correctly, right?

Yes.

Holystromboli said:
How does this principle apply to the fourth component vector for time?

In ordinary units, you multiply it by ##c##. (In the case of 4-velocity, the time component is just ##c## times ##\gamma##, where ##\gamma = 1 / \sqrt{ 1 - v^2 / c^2 }## is the standard relativistic factor.)

Holystromboli said:
there must be a fundamental relation between units of distance and time

Yes, there is.

Holystromboli said:
this by extension would imply the existence of a unitless value for c

No, it implies what you yourself say further on:

Holystromboli said:
Or can we use the value of c itself to calculate an absolute number of seconds in a meter?

Yes, exactly: ##c## is just the conversion factor between ordinary distance units and ordinary time units. If you adopt the "natural" units I referred to above, in which ##c = 1##, you are simply adopting the same units for distance and time: for example, feet and nanoseconds (approximately), or meters and "light-meters", the time it takes light to travel 1 meter (about 3.3 nanoseconds), or years and light-years (the latter is often used in astronomy and cosmology).

Hahaha that's awesome! Thanks for the quick responses!

Holystromboli said:
Also, do you have a reference for a visual and mathematical representation of these concepts for a 3D universe containing 2 space and 1 time dimensions?
Was that a no? :)

Holystromboli said:
Was that a no?

Correct, sorry, I don't have any useful references handy for that.

What is relative motion?

Relative motion is the movement of an object in relation to a different reference point or frame of reference. It is the change in position of an object as observed from a different perspective.

How does relative motion affect our daily lives?

Relative motion is essential in understanding and predicting the movement of objects in our daily lives. It helps us comprehend phenomena such as the rotation of the Earth, the orbit of planets, and the motion of vehicles. Understanding relative motion is also crucial in fields such as engineering, navigation, and astronomy.

What are the axes of reference in relative motion?

The axes of reference refer to the three dimensions of space in which an object's position can be described. They are the x-axis, y-axis, and z-axis, and they are used to determine the direction and magnitude of an object's motion.

What is rotation of axes of reference?

Rotation of axes of reference is the process of changing the orientation of the axes used to describe an object's motion. This is often done to simplify calculations or to better match the direction of an object's motion. The new axes are typically rotated by a specific angle from the original axes.

How is relative motion different from absolute motion?

Relative motion is the movement of an object in relation to a different reference point or frame of reference. On the other hand, absolute motion is the movement of an object with respect to a fixed reference point, usually the Earth. Relative motion takes into account the movement of the observer, while absolute motion does not. Additionally, relative motion is dependent on the reference point chosen, while absolute motion is not.