1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative Motion of a hockey player

1. Oct 5, 2008 #1
    Mario, a hockey player, is skating due south at a speed of 7.1 m/s relative to the ice. A teammate passes the puck to him. The puck has a speed of 12.9 m/s and is moving in a direction of 20° west of south, relative to the ice. What are the magnitude and direction (relative to due south) of the puck's velocity, as observed by Mario?

Vpi + V mi = V pm

I basically have no idea how to even set up this problem, because i don't understand how the puck could be passed to him at 20 degrees west of south when he is going south. But I did 12.9 cos 20 = 59.64 degrees and 12.9 - 7.1 = 5.8 m/s for the velocity and its obviously wrong.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you work out the components of velocity of the puck and subtract mario's velocity from the south component, you will then have two components of velocity of the puck from Mario's perspective and you should be able to work out the angle relative to south.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?