1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative motion problem

1. Dec 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    To an observer not in motion in the ground, the trajectory of a projectile is described by:
    [itex]y = x - 10^{-3}x^2[/itex](In SI units)
    Where it was adopted x = 0 and y = 0 for the origin point. Determine the trajectory equation for an observer that moves at 20sqrt(2) m/s in relation to the ground, in the positive x axis.

(Answer is [itex]y = \frac{5}{3}x - \frac{1}{360}x^2[/itex])

2. Relevant equations

Only the equations already given.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea whatsoever on how to deal with this problem. I have learned how to deal with relative position problems, and relative velocity problems, but I have no idea how to change the equation themselves and make them reflect that.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2012 #2
    Look at each motion separately. First of all, what is the x component of the velocity relative to the stationary observer, from your equation? Then, if the observer is moving with 20√2 m/s, what is the x component relative to him? Do the same for the y component.

Think about what that graph is actually telling you about these values.

4. Dec 29, 2012 #3
    I apologize, but I do not understand what you mean. Could you maybe rephrase it, in case I am missing something obvious?

I tried taking the inverse function (So I would have the movement in function of x), but still, that didn't help me.

5. Dec 29, 2012 #4
    Hmm.. if you start with your basic kinematics relationships, you should be able to construct a relationship between y and x involving the initial velocity angle, initial velocity magnitude and the constant acceleration.

However, in this case, you don't know the initial angle, velocity and accelerations. So, it's a matter of working it out the other way.

EDIT: Also you'll probably be working under the assumption that there is only a deceleration of g in the y direction. With all that, you should get the raw materials for which you can answer the question.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook