How Does Moving at 20sqrt(2) m/s Affect the Projectile's Trajectory Equation?

In summary, the trajectory of a projectile for an observer moving at 20√2 m/s in the positive x axis can be determined by looking at each motion separately and using basic kinematics relationships. The equation for the trajectory is y = x - 10^{-3}x^2 + 20√2x - 10^{-3}(20√2)^2, or simplified as y = \frac{5}{3}x - \frac{1}{360}x^2.
ShizukaSm

Homework Statement

To an observer not in motion in the ground, the trajectory of a projectile is described by:
[itex]y = x - 10^{-3}x^2[/itex](In SI units)
Where it was adopted x = 0 and y = 0 for the origin point. Determine the trajectory equation for an observer that moves at 20sqrt(2) m/s in relation to the ground, in the positive x axis.

(Answer is [itex]y = \frac{5}{3}x - \frac{1}{360}x^2[/itex])

Homework Equations

Only the equations already given.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea whatsoever on how to deal with this problem. I have learned how to deal with relative position problems, and relative velocity problems, but I have no idea how to change the equation themselves and make them reflect that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look at each motion separately. First of all, what is the x component of the velocity relative to the stationary observer, from your equation? Then, if the observer is moving with 20√2 m/s, what is the x component relative to him? Do the same for the y component.

Think about what that graph is actually telling you about these values.

I apologize, but I do not understand what you mean. Could you maybe rephrase it, in case I am missing something obvious?

I tried taking the inverse function (So I would have the movement in function of x), but still, that didn't help me.

Hmm.. if you start with your basic kinematics relationships, you should be able to construct a relationship between y and x involving the initial velocity angle, initial velocity magnitude and the constant acceleration.

However, in this case, you don't know the initial angle, velocity and accelerations. So, it's a matter of working it out the other way.

EDIT: Also you'll probably be working under the assumption that there is only a deceleration of g in the y direction. With all that, you should get the raw materials for which you can answer the question.

Last edited:

As a scientist, it is important to approach problems like this with a clear and logical thought process. Let's break down the given information and see if we can come up with a solution:

1. The given equation describes the trajectory of a projectile from the perspective of an observer on the ground who is not in motion.
2. The equation includes x and y values, which represent the horizontal and vertical positions of the projectile.
3. The origin point is set at x=0 and y=0 for convenience.

Now, let's consider what would happen if we introduce an observer who is moving at 20sqrt(2) m/s in the positive x axis. This means that this observer is moving along the trajectory of the projectile, but at a faster speed. How would this affect the equation?

We can start by considering the x values. Since the observer is moving at a constant speed, we can assume that the x values will be larger than those of the stationary observer. We can express this as x' = x + vt, where x' is the new x value, x is the original x value, v is the speed of the observer, and t is time.

Next, we can consider the y values. Since the observer is moving at a constant speed, the y values will also be larger than those of the stationary observer. However, we also need to take into account the effect of gravity, which will cause the projectile to follow a parabolic trajectory. This means that the y value will decrease as the x value increases. We can express this as y' = y - 10^{-3}x'^2, where y' is the new y value and x' is the new x value.

Now, we can substitute x' and y' into the original equation and solve for y:

y' = x' - 10^{-3}x'^2
y - 10^{-3}(x + vt)^2 = x + vt - 10^{-3}(x + vt)^2
y = x + vt - 10^{-3}(x^2 + 2xvt + v^2t^2)
y = x + vt - 10^{-3}x^2 - 2vtx - 10^{-3}v^2t^2

We can simplify this by factoring out an x from the last two terms:

y = x(1 - 10^{-3}x - 2

Question 1:

What is relative motion problem?

Relative motion problem refers to the study of objects that are in motion relative to one another. It involves analyzing the movement of objects from different frames of reference.

Question 2:

What factors affect relative motion?

The main factors that affect relative motion are the velocity and direction of the objects in motion, as well as the observer's frame of reference. Other factors such as acceleration, distance, and time may also play a role in determining relative motion.

Question 3:

How do you solve a relative motion problem?

To solve a relative motion problem, you must first identify the frames of reference and their respective velocities and directions. Then, use vector addition or subtraction to determine the relative velocity between the objects. Finally, use this relative velocity to calculate the position, distance, or time between the objects.

Question 4:

What is the difference between relative motion and absolute motion?

Relative motion refers to the movement of objects relative to one another, while absolute motion refers to the movement of objects in relation to a fixed point or frame of reference. In other words, relative motion takes into account the perspective of the observer, while absolute motion is independent of any observer.

Question 5:

Why is understanding relative motion important in science?

Understanding relative motion is crucial in science because it helps us accurately describe and predict the movement of objects in relation to one another. It is essential in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy, where precise calculations of relative motion are necessary for successful experiments and designs.