1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative Motion With Vectors

1. Feb 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ball rolls with a velocity of 14 mm/s [W] on a board that is being pulled [E 60o N] at 20.0 mm/s. What is the velocity of the ball relative to the floor?

b = ball
    x = board
    f = floor
    2. Relevant equations
    V_bf = V_bx + V_xf

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to work through this question by drawing it on a Cartesian grid and by drawing out the vectors. I used trigonometry on the triangle to figure out the component of V_xf horizontally, and then plugging V_xf into the V_bf = V_bx + V_xf equation. The answer I got was 4 mm/s W, but is was incorrect. I am not sure where I went wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Strangely, neither am I. Why might that be?

4. Feb 28, 2016 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The velocity vector has both westward and northward components.
    Do you mean 60° East of North as the direction of velocity of the board?

5. Feb 29, 2016 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

60 degrees east of north would be written as N60E. E60N is not a standard notation ("standard notation" goes from N or S first) but I would interpret it as "60 degrees north of east" which would be the same as "30 degrees east of north" or N30E. If you want someone to explain "what you did wrong", you will have to tell us what you did!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted