Relative Velocity of Ball on Moving Board

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the velocity of a ball relative to the floor, given its velocity and the velocity of the board it is rolling on. The conversation mentions using the equation V_bf = V_bx + V_xf to solve the problem. However, the person attempting the problem is unsure of where they went wrong and asks for clarification.
Dffgsadf

Homework Statement

A ball rolls with a velocity of 14 mm/s [W] on a board that is being pulled [E 60o N] at 20.0 mm/s. What is the velocity of the ball relative to the floor?

b = ball
x = board
f = floor

Homework Equations

V_bf = V_bx + V_xf

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to work through this question by drawing it on a Cartesian grid and by drawing out the vectors. I used trigonometry on the triangle to figure out the component of V_xf horizontally, and then plugging V_xf into the V_bf = V_bx + V_xf equation. The answer I got was 4 mm/s W, but is was incorrect. I am not sure where I went wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dffgsadf said:
I am not sure where I went wrong.
Strangely, neither am I. Why might that be?

Likes LCKurtz, Dffgsadf and SammyS
Dffgsadf said:

Homework Statement

A ball rolls with a velocity of 14 mm/s [W] on a board that is being pulled [E 60o N] at 20.0 mm/s. What is the velocity of the ball relative to the floor?

b = ball
x = board
f = floor

Homework Equations

V_bf = V_bx + V_xf

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to work through this question by drawing it on a Cartesian grid and by drawing out the vectors. I used trigonometry on the triangle to figure out the component of V_xf horizontally, and then plugging V_xf into the V_bf = V_bx + V_xf equation. The answer I got was 4 mm/s W, but is was incorrect. I am not sure where I went wrong.
The velocity vector has both westward and northward components.
Do you mean 60° East of North as the direction of velocity of the board?

60 degrees east of north would be written as N60E. E60N is not a standard notation ("standard notation" goes from N or S first) but I would interpret it as "60 degrees north of east" which would be the same as "30 degrees east of north" or N30E. If you want someone to explain "what you did wrong", you will have to tell us what you did!

What is relative motion with vectors?

Relative motion with vectors is a way to describe the motion of an object in relation to another object. It involves using vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction, to represent the motion of each object.

How do you calculate relative velocity with vectors?

To calculate relative velocity with vectors, you first need to determine the velocities of each object in relation to a fixed point. Then, you can use vector addition to find the difference between the two velocities, which represents the relative velocity between the two objects.

What is the difference between relative velocity and absolute velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to another object, while absolute velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to a fixed point or reference frame. Relative velocity takes into account the motion of both objects, while absolute velocity only considers the motion of one object.

How does relative motion with vectors apply to real-world scenarios?

Relative motion with vectors is used in many real-world scenarios, such as navigation, aviation, and space travel. It helps determine the most efficient paths for moving between two points and can also be used to calculate the relative velocities of objects in motion.

What are some common misconceptions about relative motion with vectors?

One common misconception is that relative motion only applies to objects moving in a straight line. However, relative motion can also be used to describe the motion of objects moving in curved paths. Another misconception is that relative velocity is always smaller than absolute velocity, when in reality, it can be larger or smaller depending on the direction of motion.