Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative permittivity of a semiconductor material

1. Jan 5, 2015 #1
    http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/156708/can-the-relative-permittivity-of-a-semiconductor-material-be-lower-than-1 [Broken]

To measure the relative permittivity of a p-type semiconductor material (a metal phthalocyanine ) , a M-S-M structure was made by thermal evaporation method. The capacitance was measured by a LCR meter at room temperature under the frequency of 1 kHz and the thickness of semiconductor layer and active area of our sample were known .{ C=ε_r ε0 A/d }this equation was used to calculate the ε_r.

but the calculated value was lower than one!!! about 0.000035

I think that our LCR meter must be defective.

what do you think?

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2015 #2
    Its almost definitely higher than 1. How valid is the assumption that the M-S-M structure behaves like a parallel plate capacitor? How does the I-V characteristic of the device look? What do you know about the interface between the metal and the semiconductor i.e. are the built in potentials?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook