Electron-Proton Relative Speed: Solving for 0.9c and -0.0994c

In summary, the question is asking for the speed of an electron relative to a proton that is moving in the opposite direction. The equation for combining relativistic velocities is needed to solve this problem, which can be found in a textbook or class lecture notes. The correct answer is -0.994c.
najisalem2009

Homework Statement

A laboratory experiment shoots an electron to the left at 0.9c. What is the electrons speed relative to a proton that is moving to the right at 0.9c?

I have no idea how to attempt this problem i know the answer is -.0994c but I am not sure how to get this answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

Welcome to Physics Forums.

If you were assigned a question like this, then you would have been given the equation for combining relativistic velocities. It should be in your textbook or class lecture notes -- it's a pretty standard equation.

So i found the equation Its s= (v+u)/1+(vu/c²)

s=(0.9c+0.9c)/1+(0.9c)(0.9c)/(2.98*10⁸)²
i get s=.18c but the answer is -0.994c

Question: Why did you leave "0.9c" as it was, but then expressed "c" later as 2.98*10^8 m/s?

(This is where your problem resides.)

najisalem2009 said:
So i found the equation Its s= (v+u)/1+(vu/c²)

s=(0.9c+0.9c)/1+(0.9c)(0.9c)/(2.98*10⁸)²
i get s=.18c
It's wrong. That must be s=(0.9c+0.9c)/(1+0.81)=1.8c/1.81=0.994c

oh ok thanks a lot guys for clearing that up for me

1. What is the relative speed of an electron?

The relative speed of an electron refers to its velocity in relation to a reference point or frame of reference. It can vary depending on the specific conditions and environment.

2. How fast can an electron move?

An electron can move at incredibly high speeds, reaching up to 99.999% of the speed of light in a vacuum. However, its speed can also be affected by factors such as electric and magnetic fields.

3. How is the relative speed of an electron calculated?

The relative speed of an electron can be calculated using the formula v = Δx/Δt, where v is the velocity, Δx is the change in position, and Δt is the change in time.

4. Does the relative speed of an electron change?

Yes, the relative speed of an electron can change depending on its interactions with other particles or fields. It can also be affected by the properties of the material it is moving through.

5. Why is the relative speed of an electron important in science?

The relative speed of an electron is important in understanding the behavior and properties of matter at the atomic and subatomic level. It is also crucial in many fields such as electronics, quantum mechanics, and particle physics.