1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative velocity problem. NEED HELP.

1. Sep 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A jet airliner moving initially at 300 mph due east enters a region where the wind is blowing at 100 miph in a direction 30° north of east. What is the new velocity of the aircraft relative to the ground?

2. Relevant equations
    I don't know any equations for this question.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought it might be like using the 300 mph... caculate the hypotenus velocity vector using the angle, and add 100 mph... I don't think it's right.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

This is a vector addition problem. One adds the planes velocity vector to the winds velocity vector. The plane is supported/carried by the wind and the wind is moving, which is much like a boat in a river with a current.

So pick a coordinate system, and the determine the components of each vector.

Pick the direction to East as +x, and the direction to North as +y.

4. Sep 11, 2007 #3
    Oh wait... so if the plane's velocity vector was A, and the wind's velocity vector was B.
    It would be B + A = R?
    R being the new velocity vector relative to the ground.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  5. Sep 11, 2007 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Correct!

6. Sep 11, 2007 #5
    Thank you very much. Much easier when you have another to think with.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?