Relative Velocity Vector question

In summary, the plane will be about 16.6 km from its intended position after 10 minutes if the pilot does not take any corrective action.
rvnt

Homework Statement

An airplane is heading due south at a speed of 600km/h. If the wind begins to blow from the southwest at a speed of 100km/h (average), calculate:
a) The velocity (magnitude and direction) of the plane relative to the ground
b) How far from its intended position will it be after 10min if the pilot takes no corrective action
c) In what direction should the pilot aim the plane so that it will fly due south

Homework Equations

V= Square root of: Vx^2 + Vy^2

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Square root of 600km/h^2 + 100km/h^2 = 608.27 km/h
b) 100km/h * 0.166 h= 16.6 km
c) Sin (600/100km/h)= 0.1045 degrees West of south

Physics news on Phys.org
rvnt said:

Homework Statement

An airplane is heading due south at a speed of 600km/h. If the wind begins to blow from the southwest at a speed of 100km/h (average), calculate:
a) The velocity (magnitude and direction) of the plane relative to the ground
b) How far from its intended position will it be after 10min if the pilot takes no corrective action
c) In what direction should the pilot aim the plane so that it will fly due south

Homework Equations

V= Square root of: Vx^2 + Vy^2

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Square root of 600km/h^2 + 100km/h^2 = 608.27 km/h
b) 100km/h * 0.166 h= 16.6 km
c) Sin (600/100km/h)= 0.1045 degrees West of south

a) Groundspeed cannot be greater than airspeed if you have a quartering headwind.
b) I'd use .167, however you're correct as the problem is stated. You're sure the teacher didn't ask for distance off course?
c) Not sure how you got this. Off by two orders of magnitude.

Please look at the attached graphic.

Attachments

• WindTriangle.jpg
    WindTriangle.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 2,808
I understand the vector diagram properly now but I still am troubled with a). I realize the answer 608.28km/h is too high but what am I doing wrong? Square root of 600km/h^2 + 100km/h^2 is the only way I can think of to approach this questions?

rvnt said:
I understand the vector diagram properly now but I still am troubled with a). I realize the answer 608.28km/h is too high but what am I doing wrong? Square root of 600km/h^2 + 100km/h^2 is the only way I can think of to approach this questions?
That only works for a right triangle. But the triangle (Labelled "wind triangle") posted by AC130Nav is not a right triangle.

Instead, you'll need to combine the wind and the due-southward vectors. One way to do this is: figure out horizontal and vertical components for each of the two vectors, then add the components to get the resultant vector (Labelled "resultant track" in AC's figure).

rvnt said:

If you draw a horizontal line on my left diagram through the intersection of the resultant track and the 100 kph lines, you will break the wind triangle into two right triangles, one of which has 45 degree corners. You can calculate the distances and then reverse calculate the speed along the resultant track in 10 minutes or simply pretend he did this for an hour and the 600 kph is 600k reduced by the side of the 45 degree right triangle, which is also the other side of the upper half right triangle whose hypotenuse is then the groundspeed along the resultant track in k and kph.

You'll need trig for the course correction.

What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object or body in relation to another object or body. It takes into account the movement and direction of both objects.

How is relative velocity calculated?

Relative velocity is calculated by subtracting the velocity of one object from the velocity of another. The resulting vector represents the relative velocity between the two objects.

What is the difference between relative velocity and absolute velocity?

Absolute velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to a fixed point, while relative velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to another moving object.

Can relative velocity be negative?

Yes, relative velocity can be negative. This indicates that the two objects are moving in opposite directions.

How does relative velocity affect collisions?

Relative velocity plays a crucial role in collisions as it determines the impact and resulting velocities of the objects involved. It is used to calculate the momentum and kinetic energy of the colliding objects.