Relativistic Kinetic Energy Derivation

In summary, the problem requires the use of the product rule to find the derivative of γmu, which involves finding the derivative of γu and uγ. The correct calculation should be m(γ'u + u'γ) = m[u(1 - u^2/c^2)^(-3/2) + (1 - u^2/c^2)^(-1/2)].
RedDelicious

Homework Statement

This problem comes from an intermediate step in the textbook's derivation of relativistic energy. It states that

[tex]E_k\:=\:\int _0^u\frac{d\left(\gamma mu\right)}{dt}dx[/tex]

then leaves the following intermediate calculation as an exercise to the reader:

Show that

[tex]d\left(\gamma mu\right)=\frac{m}{\left(1-\frac{u^2}{c^2}\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}\:}du [/tex]

Homework Equations

Where

[tex]\gamma \:=\:\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{u^2}{c^2}}} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

:
[/B]

I tried using the product rule

[tex]\frac{d}{du}\left(\gamma mu\right)=m\:\frac{d}{du}\left(\gamma u\right)=\:m\left(\gamma 'u+u'\gamma \right)=\:m\left[u\:\frac{d}{du}\left(1-\frac{u^2}{c^2}\right)^{-\frac{1}{2}}+\left(1-\frac{u^2}{c^2}\right)^{-\frac{1}{2}}\right][/tex]

[tex] =m\left[\frac{u^2}{c^2}\left(1-\frac{u^2}{c^2}\right)^{-\frac{3}{2}}+\left(1+\frac{u^2}{c^2}\right)^{-\frac{1}{2}}\right] [/tex]

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything looks good so far. Keep going. :oldsmile:

[Oops, I do see a typo error in your last equation. Check the signs inside the parentheses.]

TSny said:
Everything looks good so far. Keep going. :oldsmile:

[Oops, I do see a typo error in your last equation. Check the signs inside the parentheses.]

Thank you!

I figured it out. I can't believe I did not see that this entire time.

Last edited:

1. What is Relativistic Kinetic Energy?

Relativistic Kinetic Energy is a concept in physics that describes the energy an object has due to its motion. It takes into account the effects of special relativity, which include time dilation and length contraction, on an object's kinetic energy.

2. How is Relativistic Kinetic Energy derived?

Relativistic Kinetic Energy is derived using the formula E = mc^2 / √(1 - v^2/c^2), where E is the energy, m is the mass of the object, c is the speed of light, and v is the velocity of the object. This formula takes into account the effects of special relativity on an object's kinetic energy.

3. What is the difference between Relativistic Kinetic Energy and Classical Kinetic Energy?

The main difference between Relativistic Kinetic Energy and Classical Kinetic Energy is that Relativistic Kinetic Energy takes into account the effects of special relativity, while Classical Kinetic Energy does not. This means that Relativistic Kinetic Energy becomes more accurate at high speeds, closer to the speed of light.

4. How does Relativistic Kinetic Energy affect the mass of an object?

Relativistic Kinetic Energy is directly related to an object's mass through the formula E = mc^2. This means that as an object's kinetic energy increases, its mass also increases. This is known as relativistic mass and is a result of special relativity.

5. What are some real-world applications of Relativistic Kinetic Energy?

Relativistic Kinetic Energy has many important applications, such as in nuclear energy and particle accelerators. It is also used in the study of astrophysics, where objects can reach speeds close to the speed of light. Additionally, Relativistic Kinetic Energy plays a crucial role in GPS technology, as the satellites that make up the GPS system are affected by special relativity due to their high speeds.