Relativistic Momentum and Energy

In summary, the question is asking for the momentum of a proton with a momentum of 685 MeVc-1 in conventional SI units. The conversation discusses two different methods to calculate the momentum, both of which yield slightly different answers. The book's answer is confirmed to be correct. The conversation also includes a question about the meaning of MeVc-1 and a request for help with a different problem involving finding the kinetic energy of a proton in an electric field.
Peter G.
Hello guys,

The question is: What is the momentum, in conventional SI units, of a proton of momentum 685 MeVc-1?

So, I tried two methods which yielded slightly different answers, both proximate to the actual answer (3.66 x 10-19)What I first tried to do was to rearrange: ρ=γm0v

To find the particles velocity and then multiply it by the proton's rest mass in kg. I got 2.995 x 10-19 kgms-1

The second method, which gave me the result 3.45 x 10-19 kgms-1 was the following:

From: E2 = (m0)2c4 + p2c2 I got a value for total energy. I then subtracted the rest energy from that and I got a value for KE.

I equalled that to p2/2m and solved for p (using m in kg and the energy converted from MeV to J)

Are my answers wrong? The book says 3.66 x 10-19 and I simply can't get that!

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
the book answer is correct.

a question for you : What does MeVc-1 mean?

can you do a dimension analysis on MeVc-1

Oh, got it! Thanks! I got the number!

Last edited:
Oh, and, if you don't mind, could you (or anyone else) help me with the following problem please?

A proton initially at rest finds itself in a region of uniform electric field of magnitude 5.0 x 106 Vm-1. The electric field accelerates the proton for a distance of 1 km.

Find the kinetic energy of the proton.

So, what I did was the following:

KE = q * E * s

I then converted the result from J to MeV. I, however, get 5000 MeV and the book gets 500 MeV. Is my line of thought incorrect?

Thanks once again!

Hi there,

I understand your frustration with not getting the exact answer that the book provides. However, it is important to remember that in science, there is often more than one way to arrive at a solution and small variations in calculations can lead to slightly different results.

In this case, both of your methods seem correct and the differences in your answers could be due to rounding errors or slight variations in the values used for the proton's rest mass and the speed of light. It is also possible that the book's answer is an approximation or rounded off for simplicity.

Regardless, your answers are very close to the book's answer and can be considered accurate within a reasonable margin of error. As long as you understand the concepts and methods used to arrive at your solution, you are on the right track. Keep up the good work!

Related to Relativistic Momentum and Energy

1. What is relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum is the measure of an object's motion at high speeds, taking into account the effects of special relativity. It is given by the formula p = mv/√(1-v^2/c^2), where m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and c is the speed of light.

2. How does relativistic momentum differ from classical momentum?

Unlike classical momentum, which is directly proportional to an object's velocity, relativistic momentum takes into account the fact that an object's mass increases as it approaches the speed of light. This means that as an object's velocity increases, its relativistic momentum increases at a slower rate than its classical momentum.

3. What is the relationship between relativistic momentum and energy?

In special relativity, energy and momentum are considered to be two components of the same physical quantity. Relativistic momentum can be thought of as the spatial component of a four-dimensional momentum vector, with energy being the temporal component. This is described by the famous equation E = mc^2, where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light.

4. How is relativistic energy calculated?

The formula for relativistic energy is E = mc^2/√(1-v^2/c^2), where m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and c is the speed of light. This equation takes into account the increase in an object's mass as it approaches the speed of light, resulting in a larger amount of energy being required to accelerate the object.

5. What is the significance of relativistic momentum and energy?

Relativistic momentum and energy are crucial concepts in special relativity, helping us understand the behavior of objects at high speeds. They also have practical applications in fields such as particle physics, where the effects of relativity must be taken into account in order to accurately describe and predict the behavior of subatomic particles.