1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativity: A bus with a vertical windshield

1. Jan 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A bus with a vertical windshield moves along in rainstorm at speed V relative to the ground. The raindrops fall vertically with a terminal speed of V' relative to the ground. At what angle do the raindrops strike the windshield?

2. Relevant equations

Kinematics equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The only thing I've attempted so far is the trying to draw the diagram. Even then, I'm still confused as to how the diagram should be drawn. I'm quite lost and do not know how to approach this problem. Thanks for all the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Did you draw vectors for the velocities?

4. Jan 21, 2013 #3
    I'm really sorry, but I don't fully understand what you're saying.

5. Jan 21, 2013 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Do you understand what a vector is? You are probably getting hung up on the fact that you are only taking into account the SPEEDS but you need to combine each speed with its direction to create a (velocity) vector. Then you will have 2 vectors that will give you the answer.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook