How does the theory of relativity affect our understanding of temperature?

In summary, relativistic thermodynamics is a controversial topic that is one of the more difficult to understand treatments of relativity. It involves understanding how heat is transmitted in a relativistic environment.
blumfeld0
As I understand it, temperature is really a measure of the average motion of particles. In SR when an object is going at a speed appreciable to the speed of light it will be time dilated, length contracted etc.
But what if we were to measure its temperature; since it is going a lot faster won't its temperature be much larger (hotter) compared to its rest temperature?
Is there a formula for this?
is it just that T'= Trest*gamma where gamma is just (1-v^2/c^2)^(-1/2)?

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
blumfeld0 said:
As I understand it, temperature is really a measure of the average motion of particles. In SR when an object is going at a speed appreciable to the speed of light it will be time dilated, length contracted etc.
But what if we were to measure its temperature; since it is going a lot faster won't its temperature be much larger (hotter) compared to its rest temperature?
Is there a formula for this?
is it just that T'= Trest*gamma where gamma is just (1-v^2/c^2)^(-1/2)?

Relativistic thermodynamics is one of the most controversial chapters of relativity. Depending on the conditions in which heat is transmitted, you can find that T "dilates" or "contracts" or does not change at all when we detect it from different inertial reference frames in relative motion. Because entropy is an invariant it is considered that heat transforms in the same way as temperature does. Tolman's well known treatise is a good tool to start. I will send you a link.
sine ira et studio

You might try looking at http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0505004

It presents a particular version of relativistic thermo called van-Kampen Israel theory, but it has some links to other papers.

It seems like one of the easier to understand treatments from what I've seen. However, thermodynamics really isn't one of my strong points.

The treatment in this paper winds up with a four-vector to represent "inverse temperature".

Instead of delta-S = Delta-Q / T, one has

delta-S = Energy-momentum-4-vector * inverse-temperature 4-vector

where the product is a "dot" product of two 4-vectors into a scalar.

I can't really comment too much on other versions of relativistic thermodynamics, or their merits and dismerits, or why there is a controversy, unfortunately.

Most textbook treatments I've seen just work the problem in the rest frame of the fluid anyway.

Wouldn't temperature reflect the blue-shift/red-shift phenomenon? i.e. Appear hotter coming than going? Or shoujld that be vice-versa, hotter going than coming (as heat is an infrared wavelength)...

Last edited:
There's a book titled Relativity Thermodynamics and Cosmology by Richard C. Tolman that may be available as a Dover reprint from one of the many used book dealers that are online. It's going to be rather dated --it was originally published in 1934. However, it's got some good basic stuff in it if you're really interested in thermodynamics in both Special and General Relativity.

Blumfeld: good question! I wish I could think of a good answer!

Because entropy is an invariant it is considered that heat transforms in the same way as temperature does.

I suspect that's a key insight but like other posters my thermodynamics is too limited for me to have an opinion. The question of the link between information entropy and thermodynamic entropy is a hotly debated topic but a first guess is that fast objects are not hotter.

It's interesting to note that an acceleraing frame an observer measures surroundings as HOTTER than a non accelerating observer...this was discussed in another thread here not too long ago.

Wikipedia discusses relativistic heat conduction at :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_heat_conduction

And it appears some refinements of that theory might be required.

Roger Penrose notes in THE ROAD TO REALITY that the refinement of thermodynamics is statistical mechanics so that might be an area for further study in answering the question. And in Chapter 27 he discusses even more fundamental "puzzling issues in thermodynamics".
But not explicitly the relationship to relativity.

Related to How does the theory of relativity affect our understanding of temperature?

1. What is the relationship between temperature and relativity?

The relationship between temperature and relativity is complex and multifaceted. In general, temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a system, while relativity is a theory that describes the behavior of objects at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields. However, temperature can also affect the perception of time and space, which are key components of relativity.

2. How does temperature affect the passage of time according to relativity?

According to relativity, time is relative and can be affected by factors such as velocity and gravitational potential. As temperature increases, the average kinetic energy of particles also increases, leading to an increase in the rate at which time passes. This phenomenon is known as time dilation and has been experimentally confirmed.

3. Can relativity explain the behavior of matter at extreme temperatures?

Yes, relativity plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of matter at extreme temperatures, such as those found in the early universe or in the core of a star. These extreme temperatures can cause significant changes in the fabric of space-time, leading to phenomena such as black holes and the expansion of the universe.

4. How does relativity impact our understanding of temperature measurements?

Relativity has a significant impact on our understanding of temperature measurements. For example, the temperature of an object can appear different to an observer moving at a different velocity due to the effects of time dilation. Additionally, the temperature of an object can also affect the perception of its size and shape, which are also influenced by relativity.

5. Is there a maximum temperature according to relativity?

According to current theories, there is no maximum temperature. In fact, at extremely high temperatures, the laws of physics as we know them may break down, and a new theory, such as quantum gravity, may be needed to fully understand the behavior of matter and energy. However, it is important to note that the concept of temperature itself may not be applicable at such extreme conditions.