Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Replacement blades for my Mach 3 razor

1. Sep 6, 2008 #1
    I just bought a pack of replacement blades for my Mach 3 razor. It cost me $18.00....
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2008 #2
    Re: $$$

I got myself an electric last month. I'm pretty happy about it. Before, I could not shave everyday because it was irritating my skin. I know most women find a 2-3 days beard quite sexy on me, but a soft skin is more comfortable for kissing. :tongue2:
  4. Sep 6, 2008 #3

And I'm here with a $5 pack of five 2 blades...Ha ha
  5. Sep 6, 2008 #4

I put this to the test. First, I shaved every other day with a razor, then I shaved every day with an electric. The results are: Out of 47 women, 32 said my skin was significantly more comfortable for kissing with the electric, 10 said I looked more sexy with a 2 day growth, 4 said either way is good, One told me to go sleep on the couch. My wife is not a big fan of the scientific method.
  6. Sep 6, 2008 #5

Mine said "get an electric". Oh no, she's not even my wife.
  7. Sep 6, 2008 #6

I would like to ask Astro's opinion about kissing with a beard. Did we hack this thread already ?
  8. Sep 6, 2008 #7

Gold Member

sexy or dirty?:tongue:
  9. Sep 6, 2008 #8

Adding insult to financial injury, I have noticed over the years that when Gillette comes out with a new blade the old ones aren't as sharp and don't last as long.

What are they up to now ? 5 blades in a single cartridge I think. The Mach 3 when it first came out was the best blade they ever made.

Even electrics get dull over time. Replacing the cutters costs a lot.

It's a toss up. I bought mach 3's in a pack of 24 at Costco for $28, but I am really noticing that they are much duller.

I'M an old geezer I guess I will just quit shaving except on holidays.:devil:
  10. Sep 6, 2008 #9

:rofl: Come to think of it just when did that 2 to 3 day scruffy look become popular?
  11. Sep 6, 2008 #10

Staff: Mentor

I kiss fine with a beard, but you'd have to get Ms. Astro's opinion. :biggrin:

She's seen me shaven 27+ years ago (for about 1 week). My kids have never seen me without a beard.

I never liked shaving - never saw the point, and I never liked wearing cologne.
  12. Sep 6, 2008 #11

No Fair. I just asked my wife what she thinks of the scruffy look. She said she thinks it is sexy but wouldn't want to kiss me. PEE on you Don Johnson.:tongue:
  13. Sep 6, 2008 #12

My electric is cheap. (Hey, I'm a student.) The razor is a Philips Norelco Reflex Plus. The razor costs $26.98, which come with replacement heads. The replacement heads (same store, same shelf) separately cost $28.99. I won't bother trying to figure that one out.
  14. Sep 6, 2008 #13

Gold Member

I've got a Norelco 7140XL, and it works just fine. Rechargeable, and you can rinse it under running water for fast clean-up. Like all manufacturers of electric razors, they lie about initial performance, saying that it takes at least a few days before your skin and beard get used to the new razor. The truth is that it takes a few days of use before the cutters wear into the guides and start cutting cleanly without pulling. It's the razor, not you.
  15. Sep 6, 2008 #14

Can you cut yourself using an electric razor? I've never used one before. How close does it cut compared to a regular mach 3?

I'm not going to switch to electric because I enjoy the process of using a razor. But Im just curious to know.
  16. Sep 6, 2008 #15

I have electric but it irritates my skin.

So, I just use dollar store. 5 disposable razors for 1$ :approve: (good for 1 month)
  17. Sep 6, 2008 #16

My only guess is the 90s with grunge being high style, cause you see lots of pictures of Kurt (Cobain) with that kind of facial hair.
  18. Sep 6, 2008 #17

If I use one of those electrics with 3 circles I always cut the thin membrane at the corners of my mouth. I use the mach 3 that vibrates, but the blades are so expensive I push it and get more shaves out of them than they have in them
  19. Sep 6, 2008 #18

Staff: Mentor

My wife of 20 years has never seen me shaven, except in old pictures. I think I started with a goatee in college, then went to a full beard in graduate school. While in grad school, I shaved it off for a while, then regrew it and have kept it ever since.
  20. Sep 6, 2008 #19

I keep clean shaven, clipped fingernails and fresh breath.
  21. Sep 6, 2008 #20

Are you implying that those with facial hair also have long fingernails and bad breath? ; )
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?