Replacement blades for my Mach 3 razor

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mach
In summary, the conversation focused on the topic of shaving and the use of different razors and electric shavers. Some users shared their experiences with different shaving methods and their preferences for a clean-shaven look or a scruffy beard. There was also some discussion about the cost of replacement blades and the effectiveness of electric shavers compared to traditional razors. One user asked for Astro's opinion on kissing with a beard, and another joked about their wife's preference for a clean-shaven look. Overall, the conversation highlighted various opinions and experiences with shaving and facial hair.
Cyrus
I just bought a pack of replacement blades for my Mach 3 razor. It cost me $18.00...

Physics news on Phys.org

I got myself an electric last month. I'm pretty happy about it. Before, I could not shave everyday because it was irritating my skin. I know most women find a 2-3 days beard quite sexy on me, but a soft skin is more comfortable for kissing. :tongue2:

And I'm here with a $5 pack of five 2 blades...Ha ha

humanino said:
I got myself an electric last month. I'm pretty happy about it. Before, I could not shave everyday because it was irritating my skin. I know most women find a 2-3 days beard quite sexy on me, but a soft skin is more comfortable for kissing. :tongue2:
I put this to the test. First, I shaved every other day with a razor, then I shaved every day with an electric. The results are: Out of 47 women, 32 said my skin was significantly more comfortable for kissing with the electric, 10 said I looked more sexy with a 2 day growth, 4 said either way is good, One told me to go sleep on the couch. My wife is not a big fan of the scientific method.

jimmysnyder said:
My wife is not a big fan of the scientific method.
Mine said "get an electric". Oh no, she's not even my wife.

I would like to ask Astro's opinion about kissing with a beard. Did we hack this thread already ?

humanino said:

sexy or dirty?:tongue:

Cyrus said:
I just bought a pack of replacement blades for my Mach 3 razor. It cost me $18.00...

Adding insult to financial injury, I have noticed over the years that when Gillette comes out with a new blade the old ones aren't as sharp and don't last as long.

What are they up to now ? 5 blades in a single cartridge I think. The Mach 3 when it first came out was the best blade they ever made.

Even electrics get dull over time. Replacing the cutters costs a lot.

It's a toss up. I bought mach 3's in a pack of 24 at Costco for $28, but I am really noticing that they are much duller.

I'M an old geezer I guess I will just quit shaving except on holidays.:devil:

Lisa! said:
sexy or dirty?:tongue:

:rofl: Come to think of it just when did that 2 to 3 day scruffy look become popular?

humanino said:
I would like to ask Astro's opinion about kissing with a beard. Did we hack this thread already ?
I kiss fine with a beard, but you'd have to get Ms. Astro's opinion. :biggrin:

She's seen me shaven 27+ years ago (for about 1 week). My kids have never seen me without a beard.

I never liked shaving - never saw the point, and I never liked wearing cologne.

No Fair. I just asked my wife what she thinks of the scruffy look. She said she thinks it is sexy but wouldn't want to kiss me. PEE on you Don Johnson.:tongue:

My electric is cheap. (Hey, I'm a student.) The razor is a Philips Norelco Reflex Plus. The razor costs $26.98, which come with replacement heads. The replacement heads (same store, same shelf) separately cost $28.99. I won't bother trying to figure that one out.

I've got a Norelco 7140XL, and it works just fine. Rechargeable, and you can rinse it under running water for fast clean-up. Like all manufacturers of electric razors, they lie about initial performance, saying that it takes at least a few days before your skin and beard get used to the new razor. The truth is that it takes a few days of use before the cutters wear into the guides and start cutting cleanly without pulling. It's the razor, not you.

Can you cut yourself using an electric razor? I've never used one before. How close does it cut compared to a regular mach 3?

I'm not going to switch to electric because I enjoy the process of using a razor. But I am just curious to know.

I have http://www.shavercentre.com/philips-norelco-hq8140.jpg" but it irritates my skin.

So, I just use dollar store. 5 disposable razors for 1$ :approve: (good for 1 month)

Last edited by a moderator:

edward said:
:rofl: Come to think of it just when did that 2 to 3 day scruffy look become popular?

My only guess is the 90s with grunge being high style, cause you see lots of pictures of Kurt (Cobain) with that kind of facial hair.

If I use one of those electrics with 3 circles I always cut the thin membrane at the corners of my mouth. I use the mach 3 that vibrates, but the blades are so expensive I push it and get more shaves out of them than they have in them

Astronuc said:
She's seen me shaven 27+ years ago (for about 1 week).

My wife of 20 years has never seen me shaven, except in old pictures. I think I started with a goatee in college, then went to a full beard in graduate school. While in grad school, I shaved it off for a while, then regrew it and have kept it ever since.

I keep clean shaven, clipped fingernails and fresh breath.

tribdog said:
I keep clean shaven, clipped fingernails and fresh breath.

Are you implying that those with facial hair also have long fingernails and bad breath? ; )

no, I'm implying that those with facial hair are more concerned with their own comfort than with that of whomever they may be with.
Actually I wasn't implying anything and that came out meaner than I meant it to. I was simply saying how I am in case any of the single PF women are interested.

humanino said:
I would like to ask Astro's opinion about kissing with a beard.

My experience of being on the female side of the equation is that a beard that has been grown in a while is no problem. The hair softens and might tickle a bit, but no problem with being kissable. It's the beard that's under a week old in growth that's scratchy. Looks really cute, but you might as well kiss sandpaper.

Moonbear said:
My experience of being on the female side of the equation is that a beard that has been grown in a while is no problem. The hair softens and might tickle a bit, but no problem with being kissable. It's the beard that's under a week old in growth that's scratchy. Looks really cute, but you might as well kiss sandpaper.
That's not the female side of the equation that I'm curious about. Or is it?

Last edited:

jimmysnyder said:
That's not the female side of the equation that I'm curious about. Or is it?

if it's rough on the cheeks, it's rough on the thighs.

When do you guys throw away your blades? I do it when the blue aloe strip wears away and turns white. I'm just curious if that's too soon, but I think the blades get pretty dull right around when that strip is gone.

I should just invest in a good straight razor and leather strap to sharpen it like the good ole days.

Cyrus said:
When do you guys throw away your blades? I do it when the blue aloe strip wears away and turns white. I'm just curious if that's too soon, but I think the blades get pretty dull right around when that strip is gone.

I should just invest in a good straight razor and leather strap to sharpen it like the good ole days.

I keep hearing that when folks get into those, they never go back. I would try it if I had a little more courage. Youtube has tons of vids on it.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=straight+edge+razor&search_type=&aq=f

Okay, so with this search I get results of 42. Not tons, but that's sufficient enough.

Astronuc said:
I kiss fine with a beard, but you'd have to get Ms. Astro's opinion. :biggrin:

She's seen me shaven 27+ years ago (for about 1 week). My kids have never seen me without a beard.

I never liked shaving - never saw the point, and I never liked wearing cologne.

the good old way of doing things...never shaving the beard in the first place...good stuff...good stuff...
...too bad my boss would kill me if I let it out...

tribdog said:
if it's rough on the cheeks, it's rough on the thighs.

Okay, good, I'm not the only one whose mind was in the gutter reading jimmy's comment. :uhh: And, yes, if it's sandpaper to the face, it's definitely worse in more delicate places. On the other hand, if it's a more fully grown beard, extra texture can be ticklishly fun.

Ok then...

I throw my blades away when they hurt too bad to continue shaving with them.

Define 'hurt too bad'.

Cyrus said:
Define 'hurt too bad'.

Requires more than a spot or two of tissue to mop up the blood? :uhh:

Cyrus said:
Define 'hurt too bad'.

when it feels more like plucking than shaving. If I can handle the pain the razor's still good.

tribdog said:
when it feels more like plucking than shaving. If I can handle the pain the razor's still good.

Yeah, I'd say that means you need a new blade then, lol. It's never good when your razor gets to that point...

My current blade is about 4-5 months old right now. I'm very lucky that my skin isn't sensitive. No shaving cream either (just water). I never cut myself and I shave really fast. People who have seen me shave can't watch because they say it looks too painful.

In the end, I got nice soft clean shaven face. :smile:

Note: I shave about every 2 days. I'm 25 and can grow a beard. It's no teenage moustach.

Last edited: