Resistance in a circuit caused by the wiring

In summary: If the connections are poor, then the circuit will have a higher resistance. This will cause the current draw to be lower than what is shown on the label. You can get a proper switch, or you can just make sure that the connections are good.
fulmenatrum
Recently, I made a laptop cooler using an old CPU fan (rated 12V, 0.37A) I removed from a desktop. The cooler was comprised of the cooling fan, a base for the laptop to go on, and a DC power adapter (rated 12V, 1A)...nothing too complicated. Now from what I know, the current being drawn by the circuit should be equivalent to what the device, in this case the old CPU fan calls for, or 0.37A. However, when I connect the multimeter in series with the circuit, the rating i get is 0.28A.

The following calculations are all based on what I thought to be correct which may be totally wrong so please correct me by all means. Using V=IR, I found what I thought the resistance of the fan should be using its ratings (so, R=V/I...R=12V/0.37A...R=32.42Ohms). Next, I found the resistance of the fan using the measurements I got from the whole circuit which included the power adapter, cheap wire, and fan (R = 12V/0.28A = 42.85Ohms).

My question is if I could credit the 10.43Ohms (42.85Ohms - 32.42Ohms) to the wiring (and thus, the lower reading of current) since it is in series with the fan or whether it would be totally incorrect to assume this as the fan itself is composed of other electrical components I have no way of including in my calculations.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is the fan running like you expect it to?

The rating given on the fan is probably a maximum value. If so, the fan only drawing 0.28A is probably about right. You can calculate the impedance of your wire, but I would expect it to be less than 1 Ohm.

It's running well enough, though I always assumed that it draws as much current as shown on the label. I wonder if the aluminum foil switch I made increased the resistance.

fulmenatrum said:
It's running well enough, though I always assumed that it draws as much current as shown on the label. I wonder if the aluminum foil switch I made increased the resistance.

aluminum foil switch ?? how about spending a buck and getting a proper switch
the poor connections are probably what is causing your excess resistance

Dave

Related to Resistance in a circuit caused by the wiring

1. What is resistance in a circuit?

Resistance in a circuit is the measurement of how much a material or component of a circuit impedes the flow of electricity. It is measured in Ohms (Ω) and is represented by the symbol "R".

2. What causes resistance in a circuit?

Resistance in a circuit is primarily caused by the material of the wires, which have a natural resistance to the flow of electricity. Other factors that can contribute to resistance include the length and thickness of the wire, as well as the temperature and humidity of the environment.

3. How does resistance affect the performance of a circuit?

Resistance can affect the performance of a circuit in multiple ways. It can decrease the flow of electricity, which can result in a decrease in voltage and power. It can also cause the circuit to heat up, potentially leading to damage or failure of components.

4. How can resistance in a circuit be reduced?

There are a few ways to reduce resistance in a circuit. One way is to use thicker wires, as thicker wires have a lower resistance. Another way is to use materials with a lower resistance, such as copper. Keeping the length of the wire as short as possible can also help reduce resistance.

5. What are some potential consequences of high resistance in a circuit?

High resistance in a circuit can lead to decreased performance, overheating, and potential damage or failure of components. It can also result in a decrease in voltage, which can affect the overall function of the circuit and any devices connected to it.