Resistance of infinite nested triangles

In summary: So I think I'm beginning to understand this problem. In summary, this problem involves an infinite network of equilateral triangles, with each triangle having sides half the length of the previous triangle. The overall resistance between two points can be solved using self-similarity and equating the resistance values of the inner and outer triangles.
Mtnbiker

Homework Statement

Here is an interesting problem... there is a wire bent in the shape of an equilateral triangle, side length = a and resistivity = rho.

In the center of this triangle is another equilateral triangle (inverted, side = a/2, resistivity = rho) and so on into infinity. What is the overall resistance between points A and B in terms of a and rho?

circuit.jpg

Homework Equations

R = (rho * length)/area

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by using the equation for resistivity, R = (rho * length)/area, but I wasn't sure if area would apply here. We aren't given any information about the wire beyond the shape and length. So I'm really asking for help in determining a good starting point... I don't know of any other equations that would incorporate rho and length.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Mtnbiker said:
… In the center of this triangle is another equilateral triangle (inverted, side = a/2, resistivity = rho) and so on into infinity. What is the overall resistance between points A and B in terms of a and rho?

I started by using the equation for resistivity, R = (rho * length)/area, but I wasn't sure if area would apply here. We aren't given any information about the wire beyond the shape and length. So I'm really asking for help in determining a good starting point... I don't know of any other equations that would incorporate rho and length.

Hi Mtnbiker! Welcome to PF! :wink:

I don't think you can solve this on the information given. :frown:

I suggest you say "let the resistance be R/a times length", and carry on from there. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Mtnbiker! Welcome to PF! :wink:

I don't think you can solve this on the information given. :frown:

I suggest you say "let the resistance be R/a times length", and carry on from there. :smile:

Hi... thanks for the welcome, I'm glad to be here.

I agree with you regarding keeping the area incorporated in the answer. However, I'm still struggling with what exactly would the length be (first triangle is 3a, second triangle is 3a/2, then 3a/4 and so on...). There is a point of diminishing returns, so I need to find that point.

Thanks for the input!

Hi Mtnbiker! :smile:

Yes, you're correct … obviously each triangle has sides half the length of the next one out.

So assume there are n triangles, start from the inside, and work your way outward …

at each stage, get rid of one triangle and calculate the equivalent resistances along the three sides of the next triangle. :wink:

If the network is infinite you can use self similarity. Call the overall resistance between two vertices on the first inner triangle R. Now you have a simple network with three wires of resistance R and and six of resistance a*rho/2. Solve that for the resistance beween A and B in terms of R. Then realize that the outer triangular network is the same as the inner triangular network, but twice as big. So the resistance from A to B is also just 2R. Equate the two values and solve for R.

Thanks guys!

What is the concept of resistance of infinite nested triangles?

The resistance of infinite nested triangles is a mathematical concept used to calculate the total resistance of an infinite network of connected triangles with varying resistances. It is based on the principle of resistors in parallel and series.

How is the resistance of infinite nested triangles calculated?

The resistance of infinite nested triangles can be calculated using the formula R = R1 + (R2 × R3) / (R2 + R3), where R1 is the resistance of the outermost triangle, R2 is the resistance of the middle triangle, and R3 is the resistance of the innermost triangle.

What is the significance of the resistance of infinite nested triangles?

The resistance of infinite nested triangles is an important concept in electrical engineering and physics. It is used to analyze and understand the behavior of complex electrical networks and can be applied in various real-life scenarios, such as circuit design and power transmission.

Can the concept of resistance of infinite nested triangles be applied to other shapes?

Yes, the concept of resistance of infinite nested triangles can be applied to other shapes as well, such as squares, pentagons, and hexagons. The formula for calculating the resistance would vary depending on the shape, but the underlying principle remains the same.

Are there any practical limitations to the concept of resistance of infinite nested triangles?

Yes, there are some limitations to the concept of resistance of infinite nested triangles. It assumes that all the triangles have the same resistance, which is not always the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, it is a simplified model and may not accurately represent the behavior of more complex networks.