Solve Resistance Question w/Kirchhoff's Laws & Ohm's Law

• Thread starter imagemania
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law. The main issue is finding the resistance of R2 without being given the current or power through it. One approach is to use Kirchhoff's second law to deduce the current and then use Ohm's law to find the resistance. However, it is unclear if there is an easier method as the subsequent parts of the problem ask for the steps taken above.
imagemania

Homework Statement

http://img97.imageshack.us/f/scn0003.jpg/

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's first, second law, ohm's law

The Attempt at a Solution

I’m ok on all the questions, just I am stuck on part a. I can work out R1 from P=I^2R and get R = 5.00 ohms. But, R2? I can't see how to deduce it without working out the current that goes through the 10ohms resistor, and deducing the voltage through the 5ohm. But the way the question is laid indicates you need not do that...

Any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi imagemania, welcome to PF.
Power W = V*I
So voltage across the parallel combination of resistance is 10 V.
Now you can find the remaining things.

I see that bit now, but once you've done that, there is still an issue with the current. We're not told that the power through R2 is 20W, and we're not told the current. If we take kirchhoffs second law about a loop that misses out R2 then
0 = 10ohms x I - 5ohms x 2A
I = 1A (through 10 ohm).

So through R2 it would be I = 3.5-(2+1) = 0.5A

R2 = 10/0.5 = 20ohm.

Is there another way that this is suppose to be deduced, as if you look at part b, c it asks for the steps I've taken above, which inclines there's an easier method. ..

thanks

I don't think so. Now three resistances are in parallel. Find equivalent resistance. Total Current is given. Find emf.

Based on the information given in the image, we can use Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law to solve for the unknown resistance, R2.

Firstly, we can use Kirchhoff's first law, also known as the law of conservation of charge, to determine the total current in the circuit. This law states that the sum of the currents entering a node in a circuit must equal the sum of the currents leaving the node. In this circuit, the current entering the node is I1, and the currents leaving the node are I2 and I3. Therefore, we can write the equation:

I1 = I2 + I3

Next, we can use Ohm's law, which states that the current in a circuit is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. We can use this law to write equations for the currents I1, I2, and I3 in terms of the voltage and resistance in each branch of the circuit:

I1 = V/R1
I2 = V/R2
I3 = V/R3

Now, we can substitute these equations into Kirchhoff's first law to get:

V/R1 = V/R2 + V/R3

We can then simplify this equation to get:

1/R1 = 1/R2 + 1/R3

We know the values for R1 and R3, so we can rearrange this equation to solve for R2:

1/R2 = 1/R1 - 1/R3

R2 = 1/(1/R1 - 1/R3)

Substituting in the values for R1 and R3, we get:

R2 = 1/(1/5 - 1/10) = 10 ohms

Therefore, the unknown resistance R2 has a value of 10 ohms.

What are Kirchhoff's Laws?

Kirchhoff's Laws are a set of fundamental principles that govern the behavior of electric circuits. The first law, also known as Kirchhoff's Current Law, states that the total current entering a junction in a circuit must equal the total current leaving the junction. The second law, known as Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, states that the sum of all voltage drops in a closed loop must equal the sum of all voltage sources in the same loop.

What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in an electric circuit. It states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied across it and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor. Mathematically, it can be expressed as I = V/R, where I is the current in amperes, V is the voltage in volts, and R is the resistance in ohms.

How do you use Kirchhoff's Laws to solve resistance questions?

To solve a resistance question using Kirchhoff's Laws, you first need to identify all the junctions and closed loops in the circuit. Then, use Kirchhoff's Current Law to write equations for the currents at each junction and use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law to write equations for the voltage drops and sources in each loop. Finally, solve the resulting system of equations to find the values of the resistances in the circuit.

What are some common applications of Kirchhoff's Laws and Ohm's Law?

Kirchhoff's Laws and Ohm's Law are used extensively in the field of electrical engineering to design and analyze circuits. They are also applied in various industries, such as telecommunications, power systems, and electronics, to ensure the efficient and safe operation of electrical systems. Additionally, they are used in everyday devices, such as household appliances and electronic gadgets.

Are there any limitations to Kirchhoff's Laws and Ohm's Law?

While Kirchhoff's Laws and Ohm's Law are powerful tools for analyzing electric circuits, they have some limitations. For example, they assume that the conductors in the circuit are ideal and have no resistance, which is not always the case in real-world circuits. Additionally, they do not account for other factors such as temperature, which can affect the behavior of electrical components. Therefore, it is important to use these laws as guidelines and consider other factors when designing and analyzing circuits.