Resistor and power output varying with a distance x

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
Jonnyto
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Figure 29 shows a battery connected across a uniform resistor R0. A sliding contact can move across the resistor from x=0 at the left to x=10 cm at the right. Find an expression for the power dissipated in the resistor R as a function of x. Plot the function for ℰ=50 V, R=2000Ω , and R0=100Ω


Homework Equations


P=[itex]\frac{V<sup>2</sup>}{R}[/itex]



The Attempt at a Solution


I have no clue at all on how to solve this problem. I think that it might have to do with how resistors are adding up in parallel. I really can't see which one is in parallel. I don't see how to determine the resistance with the varying x.

fig29.JPG
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This circuit is equivalent to three resistors: Rl, Rr, and R. Rl and Rr are the left and right, correspondingly, parts of Ro; their values depend on x. Solve for voltage at R and current through it.
 
It's helpful to post a full size image if it's not too large.

attachment.php?attachmentid=58418&d=1367488623.jpg
 
may be this be help..
[itex]R_{total}=(R // R_{p}) + R_{s})[/itex]
upload1.JPG


just as Voko said #2
 
Complex

arifz2303 said:
may be this be help..
[itex]r_{total}=(r // r_{p}) + r_{s})[/itex]




just as voko said #2

please explain more about the problem
 
Last edited by a moderator: