Calculate Normal Forces for Particle P in Vertical Slot - Homework Problem

• Thread starter drawar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary: Thanks!In summary, the particle has a mass of 1kg and is confined to move along the smooth vertical slot due to the rotation of the arm Ab. Assuming that at the instant shown, the acceleration of the particle P is 2.46m/s^2 upward, determine the normal force N(rod) on the particle by the rod and the normal force N(slot) on the particle by the slot in the position shown. The friction forces are negligible.
drawar

Homework Statement

Particle P has a mass of 1kg and is confined to move along the smooth vertical slot due to the rotation of the arm Ab. Assume that at the instant as shown, the acceleration of the particle P is 2.46 m/s^2 upward. Determine the normal force N(rod) on the particle by the rod and the normal force N(slot) on the particle by the slot in the position shown. Frictions forces are negligible.
YbTXr.png

----N(rod) ---- N(slot)
A. 14.2 N ---- 7.1 N
B. 10.5 N ---- 3.6 N
C. 7.1 N ---- 14.2 N
D. 3.2 N ---- 1.6 N

Homework Equations

F= ma

The Attempt at a Solution

8jyOW.png

F = ma = 2.46 N
The force acting on the particle can be resolved into 2 components
N(rod) = F x cos(30) = 2.13 N
N(slot) = F x sin(30) = 1.23 N

The answer does not match any of the choices provided. Can someone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi drawar :smile:
Welcome to PF!

a diagram would be nice.

Hi cupid.callin :)
I've already drawn a vector diagram showing my work
8jyOW.png

Attachments

• image1.png
    image1.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 501
Your N(slot) force is in the wrong direction. N(rod) is correct. If you resolve N(rod) onto forces in the x and y directions you will see that N(slot) must act in the positive x-direction (to the right). Draw a free body diagram with all forces. Identify direction of acceleration. Use F=ma for x and y directions.

let AP= l
and vertical position of particle = y
now: y= l*sine(theeta)

velocity of particle= v= dy/dt= l*cos(theeta)*d(theeta)/dt
v = Vr*cos(theeta)

acc of paticle = a= dv/dt = (-)*l* sine(theeta) *w + l*cos(theeta)* q {q=angular acc of rad, w= angular vel of rad}

acc of particle = -Vr*sin(theeta) + Ar*cos(theeta)

{Vr , Ar = velocity of rod, Accc of rod at particles point}

this means :: DATA insufficient...either posotion or velocity particle is required

drawar said:
The answer does not match any of the choices provided. Can someone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? Thanks

How is the gravitational force being accounted for (the particle has a mass, therefore a weight)? I don't see it in your FBD or calculations. :smile:

Am i the only one who still can't see the pic?

Thanks for all your kind help :-)
I totally forgot about the gravitational force. I've just give it another try and here is the result, hope someone might have a check at this:
image2.png

Resolving vertically upward:
[tex]N_{rod} \times \cos 30^o - mg = ma \Rightarrow N_{rod} = \frac{{m(g + a)}}{{\cos 30^o }} = 14.2[/tex](1 d.p)

Resolving horizontally rightward:
[tex]N_{slot} - N_{rod} \times \sin 30^o = 0 \Rightarrow N_{slot} = \frac{{N_{rod} }}{{\sin 30^o }} = 7.1[/tex]

Hence choose A

edit: @cupid.callin: I'm afraid so. Seems like your browser is having trouble reading image from imgur.com. I'll upload it to another host

Last edited:

1. What is a resolving force?

A resolving force is a force that acts on an object and can be broken down into components in different directions. These components contribute to the overall motion of the object.

2. How do you calculate a resolving force?

To calculate a resolving force, you first need to determine the angle at which the force is acting. Then, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent to find the components of the force in the desired directions.

3. What is the purpose of resolving forces?

The purpose of resolving forces is to simplify complex forces acting on an object into smaller components that are easier to analyze and understand. This allows for a better understanding of the overall motion of the object.

4. Can a resolving force change the magnitude of the original force?

No, a resolving force does not change the magnitude of the original force. It simply breaks down the force into smaller components that act in different directions.

5. How does the direction of a resolving force affect an object's motion?

The direction of a resolving force determines the direction in which the object will move. The components of the force acting in different directions will contribute to the overall motion of the object.