Resultant linear acceleration at the rim of a disk

In summary, the question is asking for the resultant linear acceleration of a point on the rim of a rotating disk at a specific angle, which is not the same as the tangential acceleration.
fuddyduddy

Homework Statement

A uniform disk with radius 0.390m and mass 27.0kg rotates in a horizontal plane on a frictionless vertical axle that passes through the center of the disk. The angle through which the disk has turned varies with time according to θ(t)=( 1.50rad/s)t+( 9.00rad/s2)t2 .

What is the resultant linear acceleration of a point on the rim of the disk at the instant when the disk has turned through 0.100rev ?

Homework Equations

tangential acceleration = r * α

The Attempt at a Solution

The velocity equation should be the derivative of the position equation, so
θ(t) = 1.5t + 9t2 → ω(t) = 1.5 + 18t
Derivative of velocity equation should be acceleration so
ω(t) = 1.5 + 18t → α(t) = 18 rad/s2

Now at = rα = (0.39m)(18 rad/s2) = 7.02 m/s2

Where did I go wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the exercise asking for, precisely ?

Oh! My fault! It's asking:
What is the resultant linear acceleration of a point on the rim of the disk at the instant when the disk has turned through 0.100rev ?

Can't find a flaw in your work. Why do you think it's wrong ?

Because mastering physics says it is incorrect :/

Well, then it definitely must be wrong... So either we both make the same calculation error or we both have a wrong perception of what's going on.

Let's bet on the latter: we both thought the tangential acceleration would be the answer. In other words: we calculated the acceleration of a particle that thus far has been attached to the disk and isn't any more. That can well have been our misconception:
perhaps the writer of the exercise wants the linear acceleration of a particle that stays in the same place on the rim of the disk ...

I can't help but feel a litlle bit tricked :(

What would be the difference? Isn't the angular acceleration constant and the radius constant, thus making the linear acceleration constant for any point on the disk at that radius?

Tangential acceleration is constant indeed. But apparently, linear acceleration ##\ne## tangential acceleration.

The particle experiences a force to undergo this angular acceleration and also a force to stay in a circular trajectory on the rim of the disc.

What I suspect the exercise means is: the linear acceleration squared is radial squared plus tangential squared

And I must admit that linear acceleration is defined as ##\ddot { \vec x }##

Ah I see what you mean now. We both misinterpreted the problem, thanks for working through it with me!

Related to Resultant linear acceleration at the rim of a disk

1. What is the resultant linear acceleration at the rim of a disk?

The resultant linear acceleration at the rim of a disk is the combined effect of all the forces acting on the disk, resulting in a change in its velocity along a straight line. It takes into account the magnitude and direction of each force and their respective distances from the center of the disk.

2. How is the resultant linear acceleration calculated?

The resultant linear acceleration at the rim of a disk can be calculated using the formula a = ω²r, where a is the resultant linear acceleration, ω is the angular velocity of the disk, and r is the distance from the center of the disk to the rim.

3. How does the mass of the disk affect the resultant linear acceleration?

The mass of the disk does not directly affect the resultant linear acceleration at the rim. However, a heavier disk may require more force to achieve the same acceleration as a lighter disk due to its inertia.

4. What factors can influence the resultant linear acceleration at the rim of a disk?

The resultant linear acceleration at the rim of a disk can be influenced by the angular velocity of the disk, the mass of the disk, and the distance of the force from the center of the disk. Other factors such as friction, air resistance, and external forces can also affect the resultant linear acceleration.

5. How is the resultant linear acceleration affected by the direction of the applied force?

The direction of the applied force can have a significant impact on the resultant linear acceleration at the rim of a disk. If the force is applied tangentially to the rim, it will result in a larger acceleration compared to a force applied perpendicular to the rim. This is because a tangential force acts at a greater distance from the center of the disk, resulting in a larger torque and therefore a larger acceleration.