Reversed Spot Diagram: Image & Point Source Effects

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of extrapolating spot sizes in an optics system when reversing the direction of imaging. It is stated that if the transition matrix for the optical system is known, this can be done. However, if only experiments in the forward direction are known, the optical system must be modeled using initial object and image information. The concept of reversibility in optics is also mentioned, with the conclusion that it is not always possible to simply multiply the spot size by the magnification factor. The conversation ends with a discussion of using a simulator to reverse the order of components in the optical system.
Emperor42
If you have an optics system where you know the spot diagram of the image at on imaging on one plain and projecting onto another. Where you know the spot size for a point source at a given distance from the centre of the field.

Now if you reverse the system where the imaging plain now becomes the object plain and vice versa, can you extrapolate the new spot sizes from the old ones? Does it depend on the magnification?
Eksma-5Lens-63thick-config.jpg

forum lens.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the transition matrix for the optical system, then yes.
This is exactly the same as just finding the image knowing the object and the optical system.

If you do not, instead you only only know what happens when experiments are done in the forward direction (ie spot pattern A turns into image spot pattern A'), then you will need to model the optical system using knowledge of the initial object and the initial image.
From there you can deduce the expected result of reversing the direction given the model and the assumptions the model is derived from.
This sort of thing occupies much of science and it is a foundational postulate of scientifiic investigation that this approach is useful.

If I know the magnification of the system, can I just extrapolate the size of the spots if I reverse the image and optical plain, by just multiplying their size by the magnification factor? Because of the reversibility factor of optics.

In general - no. There can be anything in the box marked "system".
Compare the result with a simple lens with that for a telescope.

Hmm... its just difficult because the way Zemax works you have to have the image and object plain inverted for it to work for some reason. I can't reverse the black box lens so I'm left in a situation where I know roughly the quality of the lens, but I can't measure exactly how the spots will look on my CCD.

Oh you are asking how to do it in the simulator??
No idea. Like you said, you'd have to reverse the order of the componets in the black box unless you can get hold of the transfer matrix directly, then you just invert it.

What is a reversed spot diagram?

A reversed spot diagram is a visual representation of the image and point source effects in an optical system. It shows the path of light rays as they are reflected or refracted by optical elements, and how they form an image or point source at the focal plane.

How is a reversed spot diagram useful in optical design?

A reversed spot diagram helps optical designers understand and optimize the performance of an optical system. It can reveal aberrations, such as spherical aberration or coma, which can affect the quality of the image. By analyzing the spot diagram, designers can make adjustments to correct these aberrations and improve the overall performance of the system.

What are image and point source effects?

Image and point source effects refer to the way light behaves as it passes through an optical system. Image effects occur when light rays from a distant object are focused to form an image at the focal plane. Point source effects occur when light rays from a point source are focused to form a point of light at the focal plane.

What factors can affect the quality of an image in a reversed spot diagram?

The quality of an image in a reversed spot diagram can be affected by various factors, such as aberrations, diffraction, and scattering. Aberrations can cause distortion or blurring of the image, while diffraction and scattering can reduce the contrast and sharpness of the image.

How can a reversed spot diagram be used to evaluate the performance of an optical system?

A reversed spot diagram can be used to evaluate the performance of an optical system by comparing the spot diagram to a reference diagram. The reference diagram represents the ideal behavior of light in the system, and any deviations from it indicate aberrations or other imperfections. By analyzing the differences between the two diagrams, designers can identify and correct any issues to improve the performance of the system.