Rigid Body Kinetics: Find Reaction Force at A

In summary: The angular velocity is found by looking at the relationship between the speed of the mass and the angular velocity.
lecammm

Homework Statement

As the picture says, we are trying to find the reaction force on the bearing at A:
We are given:

M(block) = 26.1kg
M(bar) = 8.7kg
L(bar) = 1.8m
V(block) = 6.2m/s

Homework Equations

What I have attempted the solution with are:

ƩF = ma
ƩM = Iα
I0 = (m*L^2)/12 + m*d^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So, my first approach was to draw a FBD of the mass on the left:

∴ ƩF = ma = T - mg

leading to:

T = m(a+g)

But quickly found out this was useless, so I continued to analyze the bar:

I drew a FBD of the bar with the tension on the very left end, it's gravitational force in the middle and the x and y components of reactions on the far right

I then took the moments around point A to give:

ƩMa (clockwise positive) = Iα = (Tx1.8)-(8.7*9.81*0.9)

Now I calculated I for the beam:

I = (8.7/12)*(0.9^2) + 8.7*(0.9^2)
∴ I = 7.63425

∴ 7.63425*α = (T*1.8)-(8.7*9.81*0.9)

And this is where I am stuck. I know I have to utilize the velocity but I have no idea where that fits into the question, so I went ahead and calculated the angular velocity of the tip of the beam:

ω = v/r = 6.2/1.8 = 31/9

But like I said I have no idea where this fits in.

Any guidence would be super appreciated.

<3

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 451
Physics news on Phys.org
The v appears to be associated with the mass.
This suggests that the beam is pulling the mass upwards.

Simon Bridge said:
The v appears to be associated with the mass.
This suggests that the beam is pulling the mass upwards.

Thanks for the reply,

I understand that the beam is pulling the block up, I just don't understand where it fits into the calculation, as I have calculated the corrosponding angular velocity of the bar.

Is there a formula I am missing?

The pivot end of the beam is labelled A, so let the other end be B.
If the mass rises with speed v, then how fast does B fall?
What is the relationship between the speed of B and the angular velocity?

Let T be the tension on the cord. Do a free body diagram on the mass. In terms of T, what is the acceleration on the mass? The mass is accelerating downward. This must be the rate of acceleration of the end of the bar upward. So you know the upward force at the end of the bar (T), and you know the upward acceleration of the end of the bar. Now do a moment balance on the bar. The angular acceleration of the bar is equal to the upward acceleration of the end of the bar divided by its length. This should give you enough information to solve for T.

Chet

Related to Rigid Body Kinetics: Find Reaction Force at A

1. What is a rigid body in kinematics?

A rigid body is an idealized physical body that does not deform or change shape when subjected to external forces. It is often used in kinematics to simplify the analysis of the motion of objects.

2. How is the reaction force at point A calculated?

The reaction force at point A can be calculated using Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In this case, the external forces acting on the rigid body at point A will have an equal and opposite reaction force acting in the opposite direction.

3. What factors can affect the reaction force at point A?

The reaction force at point A can be affected by several factors, including the magnitude and direction of the external forces acting on the rigid body, the mass and inertia of the rigid body, and the position and orientation of point A relative to the external forces.

4. How does the reaction force at point A affect the motion of the rigid body?

The reaction force at point A can affect the motion of the rigid body by causing it to accelerate or decelerate in a certain direction, or by causing it to rotate around a specific axis. This force is essential for maintaining the equilibrium and stability of the rigid body.

5. Can the reaction force at point A be greater than the external force?

No, according to Newton's third law, the reaction force at point A will always be equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the external force. This ensures that the rigid body remains in equilibrium and follows the laws of conservation of energy and momentum.