Ring of Charge, Electric Potential

In summary: What are your thoughts on the electric fields in this problem? :wink:)In summary, a proton is moving along the main axis of a uniformly charged thin ring with a charge density of 5.0 nC/cm and a radius of 1.0 cm. The initial distance of the proton from the center of the ring is 2.0 cm, with a velocity towards the center of the ring. The electric potential at the center of the ring is calculated to be 4.5 x 10^7 V. To find the initial speed needed for the proton to cross the plane of the ring, the potential energy at a distance of 0.02 m from the center is calculated using the Pythagorean
fornax

Homework Statement

A proton is moving along the main axis of a uniformly charged thin ring. The charge density on the ring is 5.0nC/cm and the ring radius is 1.0cm. Initially the proton is 2.0cm (along the axis) from the center of the ring with the velocity towards the center of the ring. What initial speed should the proton have such it will cross the plane of the ring?

Homework Equations

ΔU = ΔV*q
ΔKE + ΔU = 0
Vcenter = KQ/R
W = -ΔU

The Attempt at a Solution

50nC/cm = 500nC/m

Vcenter = KQ/R
V = ((9x10^9)*(500x10^-9))/.01^2
V = 4.5x10^7

ok, looking at my paper, I then went on to multiply V*d, and I'm not sure why anymore...
I can't seem to find the correct equation for the V on the axis in my notes. I could use V*q for ΔU then user ΔU to ger ΔKE(1/2mv^2) but that gets me velocity if it accelerated toward the ring... ugh.

If I had V at .02m, the I could get ΔV between the center and there, then get ΔU, assume ΔKE is zero at the center, then get the velcoity at .02m with ΔU = ΔKE. Am I reasoning this correctly? Also, mind sharing that formula? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
fornax said:

Homework Statement

A proton is moving along the main axis of a uniformly charged thin ring. The charge density on the ring is 5.0nC/cm and the ring radius is 1.0cm. Initially the proton is 2.0cm (along the axis) from the center of the ring with the velocity towards the center of the ring. What initial speed should the proton have such it will cross the plane of the ring?

Homework Equations

ΔU = ΔV*q
ΔKE + ΔU = 0
Vcenter = KQ/R
W = -ΔU

The Attempt at a Solution

5[STRIKE]0[/STRIKE]nC/cm = 500nC/m

Vcenter = KQ/R
That looks about right to me so far, excluding the typo in bold and crossed out. (5.0 nC/cm, not 50 nC/cm) :approve:
Okay, above in red is 'K'. So far so good. :smile:
Above in green is supposed to be the total charge 'Q'. But 500 nC/m is the charge per unit length. You need to multiply that by the length of the ring to get the total charge [Edit: By 'length' here, I am referring to the ring's 'circumference'].
V = ((9x10^9)*(500x10^-9)/.01^2
Why are you squaring the distance?

(Your goal is to find the electric potential, not the electric force.)
ok, looking at my paper, I then went on to multiply V*d, and I'm not sure why anymore...
Nor am I. :uhh:
I can't seem to find the correct equation for the V on the axis in my notes. I could use V*q for ΔU then user ΔU to ger ΔKE(1/2mv^2) but that gets me velocity if it accelerated toward the ring... ugh.
That would give you the potential energy with respect to infinity.
If I had V at .02m, the I could get ΔV between the center and there, then get ΔU, assume ΔKE is zero at the center, then get the velcoity at .02m with ΔU = ΔKE. Am I reasoning this correctly?
That's exactly the correct reasoning (if I'm understanding you correctly). :approve:

(Just make sure that when you calculate the electric potential at a distance of 0.02 m [from the center of the ring], realize that the distance to the charge involves the Pythagorean theorem. :wink:)
Also, mind sharing that formula? :)

The Pythagorean theorem, I'm sure you already know. You already have the equation for electrical potential (with respect to infinity) in your relevant equations.

Last edited:

1. What is a ring of charge?

A ring of charge is a hypothetical model used in physics to represent a circular distribution of electric charge. It is often used in mathematical calculations to simplify the analysis of electric fields and potential.

2. How is the electric potential of a ring of charge calculated?

The electric potential of a ring of charge can be calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the ring, and r is the distance from the center of the ring.

3. What is the significance of the electric potential of a ring of charge?

The electric potential of a ring of charge is a measure of the potential energy of a point charge placed at a specific distance from the center of the ring. It is also used to calculate the electric field around the ring and the work required to move a charge through the electric field.

4. How does the electric potential of a ring of charge change with distance?

The electric potential of a ring of charge decreases with distance, following an inverse relationship. This means that the potential decreases as the distance from the center of the ring increases.

5. Can a ring of charge have a negative electric potential?

Yes, a ring of charge can have a negative electric potential if the ring has a net negative charge. This would result in a negative value for the electric potential calculated using the equation V = kQ/r.