1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RL Circuit

1. Apr 5, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find i and v_x
    9f1bd6faa0ef539d5436d32024687883.png
    Given answer:
    d225a823c3560be5848ac8fba2392677.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have attempted the problem in two different manners, and I consistently reach a different answer. I would appreciate if someone would be willing to take the time to attempt the problem and confirm whether the provided solution is correct.

My answer:
    i(t) = 5* e^(-5.6*t)
    I have not attempted to solve for v_x yet, because I want to verify the first part of the answer.

Method 1: Apply KVL directly to the circuit
    53ab3acec9b406125ac631548d64a84c.png

Method 2: Find the equivalent resistance at the inductor terminals with a test voltage source.
    I am not showing the work for this method, but I did it this way as well and received the same answer as my first attempt.

If my attempt is wrong, I really would appreciate some insight into where I went wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

I think your result looks better than theirs! Considering that they used the unit V for both voltage and current in their answer, I suspect that they have an editing issue with the answer key.

4. Apr 5, 2016 #3
    Good point, I completely managed to overlook that! I just couldn't find this listed in the errata for my book so I blindly trusted it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted