Solving a Peculiar Circuit: Find the Transfer Function

In summary, the conversation discussed a circuit with a peculiar transfer function where Vout is referenced across an inductor instead of ground. The homework problem was to find the transfer function Vout(s)/Vi(s) using the given values for R, L1, L2, and C. The participants discussed using the mesh-current method to solve for the loop currents and obtaining the desired transfer function. Nodal analysis was also mentioned as a viable method. The final consensus was that the solution provided by Leo was correct and there may be simpler methods for solving this type of problem.
Leomusic
Hi all,

New to the forums here, but I've got a question for you guys:

I've ran into this rather peculiar circuit. In all the circuits I've seen (as far as transfer functions go), Vout has always referenced ground (e.g. one node of Vout is ground); in this one, however Vout is across an inductor. I've attached the circuit diagram. (excuse the crudeness of the circuit diagram...quickly whipped it up on Paint :rolleyes:).

Homework Statement

Find the transfer function Vout(s)/Vi(s) of the circuit.

R=1Ω, L1=2H, L2=3H, C=0.1F

Homework Equations

Zr = R; Zl=Ls; Zc=1/Cs; KVL; KCL, etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since Vout wasn't referencing ground, I figured that I needed to use the mesh-current method to get equations for Vi and Vout for each loop. After some rather nasty symbolic matrix algebra, I got expressions for I1 and I2 (loop currents), plugged each of those back into the mesh-current equations, and obtained:

[itex]H(s)=\frac{V_{out}}{V_{i}}=\frac{3s^2}{6s^3+5s^2+20s+10}[/itex]

Is this correct? Also another question: is there a simpler way to do this? Forgive my idiocy but I might be missing something terribly obvious...

It's been a while since this textbook stuff! I tinker around quite a bit with circuits, but I'm no EE...I guess that's what I get for being mechanical :biggrin:

Thanks everyone!

-Leo.

Attachments

• RLC problem.png
    RLC problem.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 574
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Your solution looks good. Your method is fine too.

Leomusic said:
Is this correct? Also another question: is there a simpler way to do this? Forgive my idiocy but I might be missing something terribly obvious...

Nodal analysis also works well for these transfer function problems. See the image.

Attachments

• Circuit.png
    Circuit.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 488

Sounds good! Thanks a lot guys.

-Leo.

I too can corroborate your answer as being correct. Happy days!

1. What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. In the context of circuit analysis, it describes how the input voltage is transformed into the output voltage.

2. Why is finding the transfer function important in solving a peculiar circuit?

Finding the transfer function allows us to understand the behavior of the circuit and predict the output for any given input. This is crucial in troubleshooting and designing circuits for specific functions.

3. How do you find the transfer function of a circuit?

The transfer function can be found by applying Kirchhoff's laws and using circuit analysis techniques such as node or mesh analysis. It involves writing equations based on the components and connections in the circuit and solving for the output voltage in terms of the input voltage.

4. What are some common challenges in solving a peculiar circuit?

Some common challenges include dealing with nonlinear components, dealing with complex circuits with multiple nodes and loops, and accurately representing the circuit in mathematical equations.

5. How can the transfer function be used to analyze and improve a circuit?

The transfer function can be used to analyze the frequency response, stability, and other characteristics of a circuit. By manipulating the transfer function, we can also design circuits with desired properties and improve their performance.