Calculate Frequency of RLC Series Circuit with R=1kOhms, L=100mH, C=1uF

In summary, with the given values of R=1 kOhms, L=100mH, and C=1uF, the frequency at which the current in the circuit lags the supply voltage by 45deg can be calculated. The impedance of the circuit is given by Z = sqr root R2 + (wL - 1/wC)2 arctan [(wL - 1/wC) / R]. However, without information about supply voltage or frequency, it is not possible to calculate the impedance. Assuming that tan theta = XL-XC/R, where theta = 45deg, we can calculate the frequency as 1000/1000 = 1. With this frequency, we can then
jayhar
Given that R = 1 kOhms, L=100mH and C = 1uF, calculate the frequency at which the current in the circuit lags the supply voltage by 45deg.

Show how the impedance of the circuit is given by Z = sqr root R2 + (wL - 1/wC)2
arctan [(wL - 1/wC) / R]

I have not been given any information regarding supply voltages or frequencies.
I can not see how i can calculate impedance with no frequencies.

I am assuming for Q1 that tan theta = XL-XC/R, this can only be 1000/1000 = 1 = 45deg.

Physics news on Phys.org
You already have that [tex]X_L - X_C = 1000[/tex]
Write the impedances as functions of L and C (known) and the frequency (unknown).
You have one equation with one unknown, so you can calculate it.
Use the calculated frequency to obtain the impedance.

Thank you for providing the information for the circuit components, R, L, and C. To calculate the frequency at which the current lags the supply voltage by 45 degrees, we can use the formula f = 1 / (2π√(LC)), where f is frequency, L is inductance, and C is capacitance. Plugging in the values, we get f = 1 / (2π√(100mH * 1uF)) = 159.155 Hz. This is the frequency at which the current will lag the supply voltage by 45 degrees in an RLC series circuit with the given components.

To calculate the impedance of the circuit, we can use the formula Z = √(R^2 + (ωL - 1/ωC)^2), where ω is the angular frequency, given by ω = 2πf. Plugging in the values, we get Z = √(1000^2 + ((2π*159.155)*(0.1) - 1/(2π*159.155)*(10^-6))^2) = 1000 Ω. This is the total impedance of the circuit, which includes the resistance, inductance, and capacitance components.

We can also use the formula Z = R + j(XL - XC), where j is the imaginary unit. Plugging in the values, we get Z = 1000 + j((2π*159.155)*(0.1) - 1/(2π*159.155)*(10^-6)) = 1000 + j(100 - 100) = 1000 Ω. This also gives us the same result for the impedance of the circuit.

To find the phase angle, we can use the formula θ = arctan((XL - XC)/R). Plugging in the values, we get θ = arctan((2π*159.155)*(0.1) - 1/(2π*159.155)*(10^-6)/1000) = arctan(100/1000) = arctan(0.1) = 5.71 degrees. This is the angle by which the current lags the supply voltage in the circuit.

Overall, we can see that the impedance of the circuit is determined by the values of R, L, and C, and the frequency

1. What is the formula for calculating the resonant frequency of an RLC series circuit?

The resonant frequency of an RLC series circuit can be calculated using the formula: Fr = 1 / (2 * pi * sqrt(L * C)), where Fr is the resonant frequency in Hertz, L is the inductance in Henrys, and C is the capacitance in Farads.

2. How do I determine the impedance of an RLC series circuit?

The impedance of an RLC series circuit can be calculated using the formula: Z = sqrt(R^2 + (XL - XC)^2), where Z is the impedance in Ohms, R is the resistance in Ohms, XL is the inductive reactance in Ohms, and XC is the capacitive reactance in Ohms.

3. What is the difference between resonance and cutoff frequency in an RLC series circuit?

Resonance occurs when the capacitive and inductive reactances in an RLC series circuit are equal, resulting in a peak in the impedance and current. Cutoff frequency, on the other hand, is the frequency at which the capacitive and inductive reactances are equal to the resistance, resulting in a minimum in the impedance and current.

4. How do I find the bandwidth of an RLC series circuit?

The bandwidth of an RLC series circuit can be calculated using the formula: BW = Fr / Q, where BW is the bandwidth in Hertz, Fr is the resonant frequency in Hertz, and Q is the quality factor of the circuit.

5. Can I use the same formula to calculate the frequency of an RLC parallel circuit?

No, the formula for calculating the resonant frequency of an RLC parallel circuit is different. It is: Fr = 1 / (2 * pi * sqrt(L * C)), where L is the inductance in Henrys and C is the capacitance in Farads. Additionally, the impedance and bandwidth formulas are also different for RLC parallel circuits.