Did a Rocket Booster Fail in this Viral Video?

In summary, the conversation discusses a video showing a failed rocket launch, highlighting the risks and uncertainties of space programs. It also mentions safety precautions, insurance for potential damages, and a humorous comparison to a personal experience. The cause of the failed launch is eventually revealed to be a 17-foot crack.
Orion1

I thought this would be an interesting video for future engineers to watch:
http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/31492/Falling_Stars.html"

It appears to me that one of the boosters completely failed to ignite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Impressive! Those falling stars are the solid rocket fuel.

If I ever visit the Cape, remind me to take an umbrella.

That event was a great reminder of the ucnertainties of the space program. This is exactly why people are not allowed within a certain radius of the launch site, and the people closest are in bunkers. The space agencies do everything they can to make launches as safe as possible, but they are still inherently risky.

It's good (IMHO) to look every now and then and remind oursevles. Watching a video like that and thinking "what if it were manned?" will keep people on there toes and remind them nto to overlook anything or take anything for granted.

LURCH said:
This is exactly why people are not allowed within a certain radius of the launch site, and the people closest are in bunkers.
Looks like the folks in the bunkers parked their cars outside the bunkers...:eek:

How would you like to explain that to your insurance company. I wonder if the government or some other entity had insurance to cover loss of automobile by incineration with solid rocket fuel.

And did anyone have the presence of mind to yell "OPAAAHHH!"?

"Investigators found that a 17 foot long crack was the cause.."

hahha that's like understatement of the year, its worrying that they can go to all that trouble and still miss a 17 foot crack ;)

Reminds me of the ex-from-hell, but I don't want to get into it now.

What causes rocket booster failure?

Rocket booster failure can be caused by a variety of factors, including manufacturing defects, design flaws, human error, and environmental conditions. These can lead to issues such as engine malfunctions, structural failures, or communication errors.

How often do rocket booster failures occur?

Rocket booster failures are relatively rare, with an average failure rate of about 5%. However, this can vary depending on the type of rocket and mission. For example, NASA's Space Shuttle program had a failure rate of about 1.5%, while the failure rate for commercial rockets can be higher.

What is the impact of rocket booster failure?

The impact of rocket booster failure can range from minor setbacks, such as delays in launch schedules, to catastrophic events, such as the loss of the rocket and its payload. In some cases, rocket booster failure can also pose a danger to human life, especially in crewed missions.

How do scientists prevent rocket booster failure?

Scientists and engineers use a variety of methods to prevent rocket booster failure. These include rigorous testing and quality control during manufacturing, thorough risk assessments and contingency planning, and continuous monitoring and analysis during launch and flight.

What is being done to improve rocket booster reliability?

Efforts to improve rocket booster reliability are ongoing and involve advancements in technology, materials, and processes. Scientists are also constantly learning from past failures and implementing changes to prevent similar issues in the future. Additionally, international collaboration and knowledge sharing help to improve overall rocket booster reliability.