Calculating Exhausted Mass Velocity in Rocket Thrust Manipulation

In summary, to obtain the velocity of lost mass, you would need to measure the thrust generated by the rocket.
xphysics
Hey everyone, so I'm just wondering if you guys can articulate the term "velocity of lost mass" from the rocket. After a few massaging on the equations(derivatives and integrals stuff) i found that to manipulate the thrust, one must manipulate the burn rate AND the "velocity of loss mass". all i know about the velocity of loss mass is that it's well the velocity of the mass that's being exhausted from the rocket itself. So my question is: How could you experimentally calculate the velocity of lost mass(notes: this is not the burn rate but the speed of the mass that's being exhausted)

These are the equation if you wondered:
F=(dm/dt)u (u is the velocity of lost mass)
or this:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/...anics-fall-1999/lecture-notes/supplement8.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org
hi xphysics! :smile:
xphysics said:
Hey everyone, so I'm just wondering if you guys can articulate the term "velocity of lost mass" from the rocket.

all i know about the velocity of loss mass is that it's well the velocity of the mass that's being exhausted from the rocket itself. So my question is: How could you experimentally calculate the velocity of lost mass(notes: this is not the burn rate but the speed of the mass that's being exhausted)

i'm not sure what you're asking :confused:

the "velocity of lost mass" is the speed of the mass relative to the rocket

"How would you experimentally calculate..."

xphysics said:
Hey everyone, so I'm just wondering if you guys can articulate the term "velocity of lost mass" from the rocket. After a few massaging on the equations(derivatives and integrals stuff) i found that to manipulate the thrust, one must manipulate the burn rate AND the "velocity of loss mass".
For all practical purposes, a rocket has zero control over the exhaust velocity. The only thing that is controlled dynamically is the burn rate, and for many rockets, even that isn't controllable. Solid rocket engines are "on" until they run out of fuel. Simple liquid fueled rocket engines can be turned on or off, but they aren't throttleable. It's only the more sophisticated rockets that can control the amount of mass consumed per unit time, and even most of them can't control the exhaust velocity.

The exhaust velocity of a rocket is determined by the nature of the fuel being burnt, the geometry of the rocket's combustion chamber and nozzle, and by the ambient pressure of the atmosphere into which the exhaust is being propelled. You can't switch fuel mid-flight, and you have no control over ambient pressure. The only thing that is controllable is the geometry of the rocket, and it's only a very, very tiny fraction of rockets (mostly experimental) that somehow control their geometry. For most rockets, the geometry is fixed at the time the rocket is built.

How could you experimentally calculate the velocity of lost mass(notes: this is not the burn rate but the speed of the mass that's being exhausted?
By putting the rocket on a test stand.

Can you tell me more about the test stand? I thought of enforcing it horizontally and then record it frame by frame to measure how fast the flame is coming out since it's the lost mass( if I'm correct)

People want to measure thrust, not exhaust velocity. The amount of thrust generated by a rocket is what is of utmost concern. Exhaust velocity? Not so much. While it is ultimate what generates thrust, measuring it isn't all that meaningful. The exhaust velocity can be back-calculated from measurements of the thrust generated by the rocket.

Analysis becomes simpler if you'd consider a primitive rocket comprising an adiabatic duct and a compressed gas tank attached to its inlet. Then you'll need to look at Fanno flow analysis of the flow in the duct to determine the exit flow velocity.

This is a simplified system though. Just my 2 cents.

Ahhh I see! You can obtain the velocity of the rocket (at a certain time ofc) then use Tipler's derivation to obtain the exhausted mass velocity. Oh and the reason why I consider the exhausted mass velocity because it affects the velocity greatly IMO if you look at the derivation, same goes for burn rate
Anyway thank you for suggesting that method, it'd great if I can obtain more suggestions from you guys about obtaining the exhausted mass velocity, also what do you think about the method I mentioned above?

1. How does rocket thrust manipulation work?

Rocket thrust manipulation involves controlling the direction and magnitude of the thrust produced by a rocket engine. This is typically done through the use of movable nozzles, which can redirect the exhaust gases to change the direction of the thrust.

2. What are the benefits of rocket thrust manipulation?

Rocket thrust manipulation allows for greater control and precision in the movement of a rocket, making it easier to reach specific destinations and perform complex maneuvers. It also allows for more efficient use of fuel, reducing the overall cost of space travel.

3. How is rocket thrust measured?

Rocket thrust is typically measured in pounds or newtons, and is a measure of the amount of force produced by the engine. It can also be measured in specific impulse, which is a measure of the engine's efficiency in converting fuel into thrust.

4. What factors affect rocket thrust manipulation?

There are several factors that can affect rocket thrust manipulation, including the design and size of the rocket engine, the type of fuel used, and external forces such as air resistance and gravity. The shape and angle of the nozzle can also impact the direction and efficiency of the thrust.

5. How is rocket thrust manipulation used in space exploration?

Rocket thrust manipulation is a crucial aspect of space exploration, as it allows spacecraft to reach and maintain specific orbits, change direction and velocity, and land on other planets. It is also essential for spacecraft to return safely to Earth, as it enables them to slow down and enter the atmosphere at a safe speed.