What are the possible radii for free falling motion in a rocket trip?

• A
  • Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rocket
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem and solution related to rocket trip. The solution includes equations and the correct answer can be obtained by recognizing Kepler's Third Law. It is preferred to post equations directly in LaTeX and provide links instead of attaching PDFs.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I have this exercise which I don't understand its solution.

I am attaching both the exercise and its solution.

It's problem 2: rocket trip.
What I don't understand in the solution they write that:
"and from this you get:
$$\omega < \frac{1}{R}\sqrt{1-2m/R}$$
Then plug in ##\omega = m/R^3## to obtain the possible radii for free falling motion,
$$R>3m$$

Now, if I plug in this ##\omega## I get: ##m/R^2<\sqrt{1-2m/R}## and squaring both sides and multiplying by R^4 I get: ##m^2<R^4-2mR^3## ; if ##R>3m## then ##R^4-2mR^3>27m^4## and this is greater than ##m^2## whenever ##m^2>1/27##; from what does this follow I don't see, can't ##m^2## be less than ##1/27##?

Attachments

• sol6.pdf
    118.1 KB · Views: 304
  • ex6.pdf
    162.9 KB · Views: 295
Physics news on Phys.org
MathematicalPhysicist said:
plug in ##\omega = m/R^3##

The solution appears to be wrong here. The correct equation you should get from the geodesic equation and the Christoffel symbols is ##\omega^2 = m / R^3## (note the squared ##\omega##), which you should recognize as Kepler's Third Law (note that this law turns out to hold exactly even in the relativistic case for this particular problem). This gives ##\omega = \sqrt{m / R^3}##; if you plug that into the other equation you should get ##R > 3m##, as expected.

Likes MathematicalPhysicist
Btw, please note that it's highly preferred to post equations directly in LaTeX instead of attaching PDFs. I can understand not wanting to have to copy the entire problem and solution in, but just including a couple of the other equations would have been helpful (and in fact might have helped you to answer your own question).

Also, is this problem and solution available online? If so, links are better than PDFs.

Likes berkeman

1. What is free falling motion in a rocket trip?

Free falling motion in a rocket trip refers to the state of an object or person when they are falling freely in a gravitational field without any external forces acting on them. In a rocket trip, this occurs when the rocket's engines are turned off and the rocket is in a state of free fall towards the Earth or another celestial body.

2. What are the factors that affect the possible radii for free falling motion in a rocket trip?

The possible radii for free falling motion in a rocket trip are primarily affected by the mass of the rocket and the gravitational force of the celestial body it is falling towards. Other factors that can influence the radii include air resistance, the shape and design of the rocket, and the altitude at which the free fall occurs.

3. How do you calculate the possible radii for free falling motion in a rocket trip?

The possible radii for free falling motion in a rocket trip can be calculated using the formula r = GM/hv2, where r is the radius, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the celestial body, h is the altitude of the free fall, and v is the velocity of the rocket. This formula is a simplification and does not take into account other factors such as air resistance.

4. Can the possible radii for free falling motion in a rocket trip be altered?

Yes, the possible radii for free falling motion in a rocket trip can be altered by changing the factors that affect it. For example, the mass of the rocket can be altered by adding or removing weight, the altitude of the free fall can be changed by adjusting the rocket's trajectory, and the shape and design of the rocket can also be modified to affect the radii.

5. Is there a limit to the possible radii for free falling motion in a rocket trip?

Yes, there is a limit to the possible radii for free falling motion in a rocket trip. This limit is determined by the gravitational force of the celestial body, and the maximum radii is known as the gravitational radius. This is the point at which the escape velocity of the rocket is equal to the velocity of light, making it impossible for the rocket to escape the gravitational pull of the celestial body.