Accelerating a Uniform Sphere Down an Incline

In summary, the problem involves a uniform sphere rolling down a 30 degree incline from a height h with an initial velocity of 0. The equations used are the energy formulas for translational and rotational motion. The final velocity is calculated and used to determine the length traveled, which is then used to find the acceleration of the center of mass.
physikx

Homework Statement

A uniform sphere rolls down a 30 degree incline θ from height h. Initially, the solid is at rest. Find the acceleration for the center of the mass of the solid.

I am not sure where to start with this problem. I started with the energy formulas, but I am not sure how to find the acceleration of the center of mass from there. I just need a guide on what formulas or setup to use, thanks!

Homework Equations

Translational and rotational motion equations

The Attempt at a Solution

K_i=mghsin30
K_f=1/2mv^2+1/2Iω^2

then I solved for v:
v=radical(10/7*ghsin30)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, physikx,

The potential energy is mgh (h is the height of the (slope). Correct your result for v.

V is the speed of the CM at the end of the slope. Find the length travelled, and use the relation s=v^2/(2a) to determine the acceleration of the CM.

ehild

Hey ehid,

Thank you so much for the help! I was able to setup the problem and get the answer. I really appreciate the guidance.

Peace

You are welcome.

ehild

To find the acceleration of the center of mass, we can use the equation a = (v_f - v_i)/t, where v_f is the final velocity, v_i is the initial velocity, and t is the time it takes for the sphere to roll down the incline. We can also use the rotational motion equation, a = α*r, where α is the angular acceleration and r is the radius of the sphere.

To find the final velocity, we can use the conservation of energy equation, K_i = K_f, where K_i is the initial kinetic energy and K_f is the final kinetic energy. We can also use the relation between translational and rotational kinetic energy, K = 1/2*m*v^2 + 1/2*I*ω^2, where m is the mass of the sphere, v is the linear velocity, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

Using the given information, we can set up the following equations:
K_i = mghsinθ
K_f = 1/2*m*v^2 + 1/2*I*ω^2
a = (v_f - v_i)/t
a = α*r

Solving for v_f in the first equation and substituting into the second equation, we get:
K_f = 1/2*m*((2*g*h*sinθ)^(1/2))^2 + 1/2*I*α^2*r^2
K_f = m*g*h*sinθ + 1/2*I*α^2*r^2

Since the sphere is rolling without slipping, we can also use the relation α = a/r, where a is the linear acceleration. Substituting this into the third equation, we get:
a = (v_f - v_i)/t
a = (2*g*h*sinθ)^(1/2)/t

Substituting this into the fourth equation and solving for α, we get:
a = α*r
(2*g*h*sinθ)^(1/2)/t = α*r
α = (2*g*h*sinθ)^(1/2)/(t*r)

Substituting this into the second equation and solving for a, we get:
K_f = m*g*h*sinθ + 1/2*I*[(2*g*h*sinθ)^(1/2)/(t*r)]^2*r^2
a

1. What is the concept behind accelerating a uniform sphere down an incline?

The concept behind accelerating a uniform sphere down an incline is that an object will accelerate down an incline due to the force of gravity acting on it. The slope of the incline determines the amount of acceleration, with steeper slopes resulting in greater acceleration.

2. How do you calculate the acceleration of a uniform sphere down an incline?

The acceleration of a uniform sphere down an incline can be calculated using the formula a = gsinθ, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of the incline.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of a uniform sphere down an incline?

The acceleration of a uniform sphere down an incline is affected by the mass of the sphere, the angle of the incline, and the coefficient of friction between the sphere and the incline surface. A heavier sphere, steeper incline, and higher coefficient of friction will result in a greater acceleration.

4. How does the surface of the incline affect the acceleration of a uniform sphere?

The surface of the incline can affect the acceleration of a uniform sphere by changing the coefficient of friction. A rougher surface will result in a higher coefficient of friction, leading to a slower acceleration. A smoother surface will have a lower coefficient of friction and result in a faster acceleration.

5. Is the acceleration of a uniform sphere down an incline constant?

No, the acceleration of a uniform sphere down an incline is not constant. As the sphere moves down the incline, the angle of the incline changes, resulting in a change in the acceleration. The acceleration will be greatest at the top of the incline and decrease as the sphere moves towards the bottom.