Rolling without slipping force diagram

In summary, BrianSauce got stuck on calculating the velocity and acceleration of the disk at the bottom of the incline.
BrianSauce
This is the second part of a 2 part problem. The first part is:
A solid disc is rolling down a 30 degree incline from rest.
a. draw the force diagram for the disk.
b. write the equations for both translation and rotational motion
c. Find the linear acceleration of the center of mass.
d. If the radius of the disk is r, find the angular acceleration of the disk.
e. If the mass of the disc is m, what is the expression for the friction force?

I solved b. as: Translation {mgsin[itex]\varphi[/itex]-fs = ma , N=mgcos[itex]\varphi[/itex]} Rotation: fr=I[itex]\alpha[/itex]

For c my answer was a=g/3

For d I got [itex]\alpha[/itex]=2f/mr

And for e I got f= mg/6

Now part 2 says, "In the previous problem the disk started to roll from a height of h=2m with no initial velocity. Use the answers from part 1 to find:
a. The time to reach the bottom of the incline.
b. The velocity of its c.m. at the bottom of the incline.
c. The angular speed of the disk at the bottom of the incline if the radius of the disc is 25cm.

This is where I am stumped. I tried solving for the velocity by using Kinetic Energy, mgh = 1/2 I[itex]\omega[/itex]^2 + 1/2mv^2

But I didn't get the correct answer. So I'm really lost, I tried Kinematic but just got lost not sure which equations to use.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi BrianSauce! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
BrianSauce said:
Now part 2 says, "In the previous problem the disk started to roll from a height of h=2m with no initial velocity. Use the answers from part 1 …

I tried solving for the velocity by using Kinetic Energy, mgh = 1/2 I[itex]\omega[/itex]^2 + 1/2mv^2

That should work … show us your calculations. :smile:

However, why didn't you just use the acceleration from part 1, as the question tells you? :confused:

Likes 1 person
My calculations are mgh=1/2(1/2mr^2)(v^2/r^2) + 1/2mv^2
gh=1/4v^2 + 1/2v^2
gh=3/4v^2
4gh/3 all under square root = v
However, that was not the correct velocity. And I'm not sure what to do with the acceleration because to find time I need vf which I don't have.

HiBrianSauce! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
BrianSauce said:
4gh/3 all under square root = v

that's what i get also (with h = 2) :confused:
And I'm not sure what to do with the acceleration because to find time I need vf which I don't have.

but you can find the distance (along the slope), and use one of the other standard constant acceleration equations :wink:

Likes 1 person
My lab partner had helped me, he used the kinematic equation Vf = 1/2at^2

It completely slipped my mind. Thank you very much for the replies. :)

BrianSauce said:
My lab partner had helped me, he used the kinematic equation Vf = 1/2at^2

that doesn't look right :redface:

there's s = vit + 1/2 at2 and vf2 = vi2 + 2as​

Whoops, I meant delta x = 1/2at^2, no vi because it starts from rest.

Last edited:
yup! :biggrin:

Likes 1 person
Thanks again!

1. What is a rolling without slipping force diagram?

A rolling without slipping force diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object as it rolls without slipping. It shows the direction and magnitude of the forces, including the normal force, frictional force, and any other external forces, that are necessary to maintain the object's motion without slipping.

2. How is a rolling without slipping force diagram different from a regular force diagram?

A rolling without slipping force diagram takes into account the rotational motion of the object, while a regular force diagram only considers linear motion. This means that a rolling without slipping force diagram will include torque and angular acceleration, in addition to the forces acting on the object.

3. Why is a rolling without slipping force diagram important in physics?

A rolling without slipping force diagram is important because it allows us to analyze the motion of objects that both rotate and translate, such as a rolling wheel or a spinning top. It helps us understand the relationship between the forces and the resulting motion of these objects, which is crucial in many areas of physics.

4. How do you draw a rolling without slipping force diagram?

To draw a rolling without slipping force diagram, you first need to identify all the forces acting on the object and their directions. Then, you can use arrows to represent the forces, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude. It is important to include both the linear and angular components of the forces, as well as the direction of rotation.

5. Can a rolling without slipping force diagram be used to calculate the motion of an object?

Yes, a rolling without slipping force diagram can be used to calculate the motion of an object. By analyzing the forces and their resulting motion, we can apply Newton's laws of motion and equations of rotational motion to determine the object's acceleration, velocity, and position at any given time.