Calc Angle of Rope Swing for 82kg Man, 1450kg Car

In summary: You're very nearly there, just one small mistake. Does his height really make up one of the sides of the triangle that you need?Try againI understand what I did wrong now, but how do I apply that to fix them problem?
ganondorf29

Homework Statement

The rope of a swing is 2.90 m long. Calculate the angle from the vertical at which a 82.0 kg man must begin to swing in order to have the same KE at the bottom as a 1450 kg car moving at 1.11 m/s (2.48 mph).

Homework Equations

k=(m*v^2) / 2
U = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I first found the kinetic energy of the car. 1/2*[(1450)*(1.11^2) = kcar. I found kcar to be 893.273 J. Than I used U=mgh to find the height the man must be to have the same amount of kinetic energy. Kcar = 82*9.8*h. I found the height to be 1.11m. Than I set up a triangle and tried cos^-1 = (1.11/2.9) to find theta. I got 67.5 deg, but that's wrong. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you know that's wrong? Do you have the answer? Is it 22.5?

ganondorf29 said:

Homework Statement

The rope of a swing is 2.90 m long. Calculate the angle from the vertical at which a 82.0 kg man must begin to swing in order to have the same KE at the bottom as a 1450 kg car moving at 1.11 m/s (2.48 mph).

Homework Equations

k=(m*v^2) / 2
U = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I first found the kinetic energy of the car. 1/2*[(1450)*(1.11^2) = kcar. I found kcar to be 893.273 J. Than I used U=mgh to find the height the man must be to have the same amount of kinetic energy. Kcar = 82*9.8*h. I found the height to be 1.11m. Than I set up a triangle and tried cos^-1 = (1.11/2.9) to find theta. I got 67.5 deg, but that's wrong. Any suggestions?
You're very nearly there, just one small mistake. Does his height really make up one of the sides of the triangle that you need?

Try again

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    202 KB · Views: 654
I understand what I did wrong now, but how do I apply that to fix them problem?

ganondorf29 said:
I understand what I did wrong now, but how do I apply that to fix them problem?
Well if the height isn't the adjacent side of the triangle, then what is? Look at the sketch that phyguy provided.

I am actually working on a problem very similar to this one and I found the height of the person, but I am stuck on how you find the angle. I looked at the image given in this thread but it was the same image I had already drawn out in my attempt at solving the problem. My thinking is that if the energy is conserved then at the bottom of the swing there would not be any potential energy, it would be all kinetic, implying that the height at the bottom of the swing would be zero. Therefore the adjacent side of the large triangle would be the length of the rope, but I am not sure how you find the hypotenuse of the triangle when you know the height and the length of the rope. I would appreciate help regarding this question, thanks!

1. How do you calculate the angle of a rope swing for an 82kg man and a 1450kg car?

The angle of a rope swing can be calculated using the formula: angle = arcsin (mass of car / total mass), where the total mass is the combined weight of the man and the car. In this case, the angle would be calculated as: angle = arcsin (1450kg / (82kg + 1450kg)) = 94.1 degrees.

2. Can the angle of the rope swing affect the distance the car will travel?

Yes, the angle of the rope swing can affect the distance the car will travel. A steeper angle will result in a shorter distance traveled, while a shallower angle will result in a longer distance traveled. This is because a steeper angle will have a greater downward force, reducing the horizontal component of the car's motion.

3. What other factors can affect the distance the car will travel on the rope swing?

Aside from the angle of the rope swing, other factors that can affect the distance the car will travel include the length and elasticity of the rope, the height of the swing, and the speed at which the car is released. Additionally, external forces such as wind resistance and friction can also play a role.

4. How can you ensure the safety of the man and the car while using the rope swing?

To ensure the safety of the man and the car, it is important to use a sturdy and high-quality rope that is capable of supporting the weight of both the man and the car. The rope should also be properly attached to a secure and stable anchor point. It is also crucial to carefully calculate the angle of the swing to prevent the car from swinging too close to the ground or colliding with any obstacles.

5. Are there any risks involved in using a rope swing for a man and a car?

As with any physical activity, there are always some risks involved. The main risk of using a rope swing for a man and a car is the potential for injury due to a collision or a fall. It is important to carefully assess the safety of the swing and take necessary precautions to minimize the risk of accidents. Additionally, it is important to have a trained and experienced person supervising the activity at all times.