1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotating particle (complex numbers)

1. May 13, 2014 #1
    This problem is from Boas Mathermatical Methods 3ed. Section 16, problem 1.

Show that if the line through the origin and the point z is rotated 90° about the origin, it becomes the line through the origin and the point iz.

Use this idea in the following problem: Let z = ae^iωt be the displacement of a particle from the origin at time t. Show that the particle travels in a circle of radius a at velocity v = aω and with acceleration v^2 / a directed towards the centre of the circle.

3. The attempt at a solution

I can show the first part: adding [itex]\pi[/itex] / 2 to the argument of z gives ae[itex]^{i\theta}[/itex]e[itex]^{\pi / 2}[/itex] which is just iz.

I'm not sure how to set up the second part of the problem, though. How exactly should I use this result?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In the problem, the displacement vector is represented by the complex number z=aeiωt. What is the distance of the point from the origin?
    You can also show, that adding iθ to the argument of a complex number z, it gets rotated by the angle θ.
    The velocity is the time derivative of the displacement. What is dz/dt in this case? What is the magnitude of the velocity?
    The acceleration is the time derivative of velocity, second derivative of displacement. What is its magnitude? What is its direction?

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted