Rotational Kinematics - Cylinder down a slope.

In summary: This means that the frictional force and the torque are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction. Using these equations, you can solve for the acceleration of the cylinder's center-of-mass, which is approximately 1.26 m/s^2.In summary, a non-uniform cylinder with a mass of 9 kg, radius of 1.2 m, and moment of inertia of 7.6 kg m^2 rolls down a 20° incline without slipping. Using the equations mgsin(20) - F(friction) = ma, I(alpha) = F(friction)*r, and a=(alpha)*r, the acceleration of the cylinder's center-of-mass is approximately 1.26 m/s
CaptainSFS

Homework Statement

A certain non-uniform but cylindrically symmetric cylinder has mass 9 kg, radius 1.2 m, and moment of inertia about the center of mass 7.6 kg m2. It rolls without slipping down a rough 20° incline.

What is the acceleration of the cylinder's center-of-mass?

Homework Equations

kinematics and the rotational equivalents

The Attempt at a Solution

The hints I was given was to find/use 3 equations. I believe the equations I found are wrong. I seem to have some difficulty with kinematics, and now especially this rotational kinematics.

I found:
m*g*sin(20) - F(friction) = m*a
T(orque) = I * alpha
a = alpha * r

Any help to whether these are the useful equations, and how I may go about using these? Thx. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the relationship between torque on the cylinder and the frictional force at the circumference?

Are they the same?

b/c the frictional force is a force not coming out from the CM; therefore it helps it spin? I believe it is the only other force, so they must be the same?

Last edited:
I also tried using the gravitational force as the Torque.
I used m*g*sin(20)=I*alpha
m*g*sin(20)/I=alpha and alpha*R = a
so... m*g*sin(20)*R/I=a,
but this didn't work either.

-------------------
I just solved this problem.

Last edited:
Use these equations:
mgsin(20) - F(friction) = ma
I(alpha) = F(friction)*r
a=(alpha)*r

The only force that applies a torque is friction, because the normal force and gravity both act on the center of mass.

Related to Rotational Kinematics - Cylinder down a slope.

1. What is rotational kinematics?

Rotational kinematics is the study of the motion of objects that are rotating or spinning around a fixed axis. It involves the analysis of angular velocity, angular acceleration, and the relationships between angular and linear quantities.

2. How does a cylinder roll down a slope?

A cylinder will roll down a slope due to the force of gravity pulling it down the incline. As the cylinder moves, its center of mass accelerates in the direction of the slope, causing it to roll down.

3. What is the relationship between angular velocity and linear velocity in rotational kinematics?

The relationship between angular velocity and linear velocity can be described using the equation v = ωr, where v is the linear velocity, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the rotating object. This means that the linear velocity is directly proportional to the angular velocity and the radius of the object.

4. How does the moment of inertia affect the rotational motion of a cylinder?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. For a cylinder, the moment of inertia depends on its mass and the distribution of that mass around its axis of rotation. A larger moment of inertia will result in a slower rotational acceleration, while a smaller moment of inertia will result in a faster rotational acceleration.

5. What is the difference between translational and rotational motion?

Translational motion is the movement of an object from one point to another in a straight line, while rotational motion is the movement of an object around a fixed axis. In translational motion, all points on the object move the same distance in the same direction, while in rotational motion, different points on the object have different linear velocities and accelerations.