Rotational motion and an incline

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving a bowling ball rolling up an inclined plane and determining its height using the equations for potential energy and kinetic energy. The discussants also mention the importance of accounting for the kinetic energy of the center of mass and the rotational kinetic energy in calculating the total kinetic energy of a rolling object.
Strontium90
Hello, I have a problem that I have not been able to solve

Homework Statement

Here is the problem question:

A bowling ball rolling at 8 m/s begins to move up an inclined plane. What height does it reach?

Homework Equations

The equation that I used was the formula relating potential energy to kinetic energy. In the book it showed how the translational equivalent of kinetic energy related to angular kinetic energy. The equivalent of kinetic angular energy is (3/4)mv^2 while potential energy is mgh, with m is mass, g is gravity and h is height.

The Attempt at a Solution

take:

mgh = (3/4)mv^2

h = (3/4)(v^2/g)

The value for h I got is 4.90m

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh and the books answer is 4.57m.

I think that (3/4)mv^2 is incorrect. Figure it out..
KE = KE(tranwslational) + KE(rotational)

KE(translational is (1/2)mv^2 , now go figure the KE(rotational) using the moment of inertia of a solid sphere.

So the Kinetic energy for any rotating object depends on it's Moment of Inertia? Taking the moment of inertia of a solid sphere and combining it with the value for translational KE, I get (9/10)MV^2 for the KE of a rolling bowling ball and soling for h in mgh = (9/10)mv^2, the value is 5.88m.

The moment of inertia of a solid sphere about its COM is 0.4MR2

In general the kinetic energy of a body is nothing but the summation of the kinetic energy of its constituent particles.
This sum can be broken into two parts for extended bodies-
(i)The kinetic energy of the COM
(ii)The rotational kinetic energy about the COM
This energy depends on the work done by all the forces on the body and its initial kinetic energy.
(Work Energy Theorem)

I get .7MR^2 for the combined KE of the rolling sphere.
I for a sphere is .4mR^2

Strontium90 said:
So the Kinetic energy for any rotating object depends on it's Moment of Inertia? Taking the moment of inertia of a solid sphere and combining it with the value for translational KE, I get (9/10)MV^2 for the KE of a rolling bowling ball and soling for h in mgh = (9/10)mv^2, the value is 5.88m.
I'm guessing you forgot the 1/2 in (1/2)Iω2.

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. It involves the object rotating or spinning in a circular path.

2. How is rotational motion related to an incline?

In an incline, the force of gravity acts on an object, causing it to accelerate down the slope. Rotational motion can occur when the object begins to rotate as it moves down the incline, due to the torque created by the force of gravity.

3. What is the role of friction in rotational motion on an incline?

Friction can impact the rotational motion on an incline by either increasing or decreasing the amount of torque on the object. If the object has a high coefficient of friction with the incline, it will experience more torque and rotate at a slower rate. If the object has a low coefficient of friction, it will experience less torque and rotate faster.

4. How is the angle of incline related to rotational motion?

The angle of incline can impact the magnitude of the force of gravity and therefore the amount of torque experienced by the object. As the angle of incline increases, the force of gravity acting on the object also increases, resulting in a greater torque and potentially faster rotational motion.

5. What is the difference between rotational motion and linear motion on an incline?

Rotational motion involves the object rotating or spinning around an axis, while linear motion involves the object moving in a straight line down the incline. Both types of motion can occur on an incline, but rotational motion is typically seen in objects with a circular or cylindrical shape, while linear motion is seen in objects with a more linear shape.