Rotational motion and angular displacement

In summary: So, I used the angular displacement and velocity formulas to solve for the height. The answer is that the height reached by the centre of the baton is 12.565 radians, or the radius of the ball.
invadertak

Homework Statement

A baton twirler throws a spinning baton directly upward. As it goes up and returns to the twirlers hands, the baton turns through four revolutions. Ignoring air resistance and assuming that the average angular speed is 1.80 rev/s, determine the height to which the center of the baton travels above the point of release.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the total angular displacement is 25.13 radians and, therefore, the angular displacement the baton moves through to reach the maximum height is 12.565 radians. The anguar velocity which the baton experiences is 11.31 radians/sec. The total time of the trip is 2.2 seconds and the time to reach the top is 1.1 sec. Will the height reached by the centre of the baton be the radius? I can't quite get my mind around this angular displacement and velocity. I'm really stuck on this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
invadertak said:
I know that the total angular displacement is 25.13 radians and, therefore, the angular displacement the baton moves through to reach the maximum height is 12.565 radians. The anguar velocity which the baton experiences is 11.31 radians/sec. The total time of the trip is 2.2 seconds and the time to reach the top is 1.1 sec.
Good. (FYI, there's no need to use radians. You are told it rotates through 4 revolutions at a speed of 1.8 rev/sec. So how long does it take to spin through those 4 revolutions?)
Will the height reached by the centre of the baton be the radius? I can't quite get my mind around this angular displacement and velocity.
Now that you have the time it takes for the baton to reach its highest point, find the height it reaches by treating it like any other tossed object. If you threw an apple straight up in the air and it took 1.1 seconds to reach its highest point, how high did it reach?

Thanks. I thought about using straightforward projectile motion, but I'd just started the section on rotational motion and it seemed a bit soon in the exercises to start using anything other than the formulas for angular displacement and velocity.

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around a fixed axis or point. It is also known as circular motion, and it can be described by the angle and distance traveled by the object.

2. What is angular displacement?

Angular displacement is the change in the angle of an object's position during rotational motion. It is usually measured in radians or degrees and can be positive or negative depending on the direction of rotation.

3. How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Rotational motion involves an object spinning or rotating around a fixed point, while linear motion is the movement of an object in a straight line. In rotational motion, the distance from the axis of rotation is constantly changing, whereas in linear motion, the distance from the starting point remains the same.

4. What is the relationship between angular displacement and linear displacement?

Angular displacement and linear displacement are related by the radius of rotation. The linear displacement is equal to the product of the angular displacement and the radius. This relationship is known as the arc length formula.

5. How is rotational motion measured?

Rotational motion is measured using different units depending on the specific quantity being measured. Angular displacement is measured in radians or degrees, angular velocity is measured in radians per second, and angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared. These units can be converted to other units such as revolutions per minute or degrees per second for convenience.