1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational motion - i just need help with net forces

1. Oct 26, 2009 #1
    1. Mass m_1 on the frictionless table of the figure is connected by a string through a hole in the table to a hanging mass m_2.

With what speed must m_1 rotate in a circle of radius r if m_2 is to remain hanging at rest?

http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1073602/3/knight_Figure_08_30.jpgp [Broken]

2. F_radial = mv^2/r
    omega = v/r

3. I know that F_z = 0 = normal - mg
    What is F_radial? I don't see how to connect the tension caused by m2 to force in the radial direction....

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

If T is the tension in the string, acceleration of m_2 is given by
    mg - T = m_2*a.
    Similarly write down the expression for m_1. When the system is at rest a = ?

4. Oct 26, 2009 #3
    I would have thought m_2*a = t - mg downward. This would not be motion in the radial direction. there is an inward radial force on m1 involving T. it's also obviously connected to m2, but how?

m_1*a = -m_2*T is my intuition but I think it is wrong...........

5. Oct 26, 2009 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

The acceleration of both must be zero.
    The centripetal force is provided by the tension in the string.
    So T = ?
    The system will remain at rest it T - mg = ?
    Find the values of T from two equations and equate them to get the condition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook