Rotational motion - i just with net forces

In summary, the first conversation discusses the speed at which mass m_1 must rotate in a circle of radius r in order for mass m_2 to remain hanging at rest. The equation F_radial = mv^2/r is mentioned, as well as the relationship between omega, v, and r. The second conversation introduces the concept of F_radial and the connection between the tension caused by m_2 and the force in the radial direction. It also discusses the equations for the acceleration of m_2 and m_1 and the condition for the system to remain at rest. The condition is ultimately found by equating two equations for the tension, T, in the string.
Linus Pauling
1. Mass m_1 on the frictionless table of the figure is connected by a string through a hole in the table to a hanging mass m_2.

With what speed must m_1 rotate in a circle of radius r if m_2 is to remain hanging at rest?

http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1073602/3/knight_Figure_08_30.jpgp

2. F_radial = mv^2/r
omega = v/r

3. I know that F_z = 0 = normal - mg
What is F_radial? I don't see how to connect the tension caused by m2 to force in the radial direction...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If T is the tension in the string, acceleration of m_2 is given by
mg - T = m_2*a.
Similarly write down the expression for m_1. When the system is at rest a = ?

I would have thought m_2*a = t - mg downward. This would not be motion in the radial direction. there is an inward radial force on m1 involving T. it's also obviously connected to m2, but how?

m_1*a = -m_2*T is my intuition but I think it is wrong...

The acceleration of both must be zero.
The centripetal force is provided by the tension in the string.
So T = ?
The system will remain at rest it T - mg = ?
Find the values of T from two equations and equate them to get the condition.

1. What is rotational motion and how is it different from linear motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. It is different from linear motion in that the object moves in a circular or curved path rather than a straight line.

2. What is a net force and how does it affect rotational motion?

A net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account all forces in both magnitude and direction. In rotational motion, a net force can cause an object to rotate around its axis or change its rotational speed.

3. How does torque play a role in rotational motion?

Torque is the measure of a force's ability to cause an object to rotate. It is affected by both the magnitude and direction of the force, as well as the distance from the axis of rotation. Torque is necessary for rotational motion to occur.

4. Can rotational motion be described using Newton's laws of motion?

Yes, rotational motion can be described using Newton's laws of motion. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with constant velocity unless acted upon by a net force. The second law relates the net force to the object's mass and acceleration, and the third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

5. How is angular momentum related to rotational motion?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's tendency to continue rotating. It is related to rotational motion in that a net torque acting on an object can change its angular momentum, causing it to speed up or slow down its rotation.