Rotational motion problem from hell

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a plane flying at a constant velocity and height from point A to point B, with the pilot needing to determine the angle theta in order to reach point B accurately. The solution involved considering the Coriolis acceleration and using trigonometric calculations, but it is important to pay attention to units and directions in order to avoid errors. Drawing a diagram can also be helpful in visualizing the problem.
boa_co
Hi, all

Homework Statement

A plain is flying at a constant velocity v=3 km/s at a constant height above the surface of the Earth, from point A on a Latitude which forms an angle of 20 degrees with the North Pole, to point B which is 5 km north to A.

1_140869320.jpg

Assuming that B is very close to A so that 20 degrees angle does not change.
At which angle theta does the pilot have to point the airplane relative to the straight line between A and B so that the plaine reaches point B exactly?
(The answer must be in mdeg).

Homework Equations

All the forces along the Z -axis are ballanced, the velocity is along the X-axis.

The Attempt at a Solution

I separated the velocity into two components: North and into the Earth center.
Any diversion in the plain's path is due to Coriolis acceleration so I got something like this:

1_140869376.jpg

I get the time it takes for the plain to travel from dividing the distance 5 km by the velocity component which results in 5/3*cos(20)*cos(theta). The velocity component we have from the theta angle is opposite to the Coriolis acceleration so that the diversion distance must be 0. Afte plugging the time into the distance equations I get the final result of :
sin(theta)=(7.27exp-5)*(5/3*cos(20))

Unfortunately this is somehow wrong. What am I doing wrong? What am I missing? Why must this be so hard?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

First of all, it is important to clarify that the angle theta should be in radians, not mdeg. This may be causing some confusion in your calculations.

Secondly, your approach seems to be on the right track. However, it is important to also consider the direction of the Coriolis acceleration. In this case, the acceleration should be perpendicular to the velocity, which means it should be in the y-direction (since the velocity is in the x-direction). This means that your diversion distance should be in the y-direction as well, and not in the x-direction as you have it written.

Additionally, it may be helpful to draw a diagram of the situation to better visualize the components and forces involved. This can help you identify any errors in your calculations and make sure you are considering all relevant factors.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your calculations!

What is "Rotational motion problem from hell"?

"Rotational motion problem from hell" is a hypothetical problem in physics that involves complex rotations and multiple interacting forces, making it extremely difficult to solve.

Why is "Rotational motion problem from hell" considered so challenging?

This problem requires a deep understanding of rotational motion, including torque, angular momentum, and moment of inertia. It also involves complex calculations and multiple variables, making it a difficult problem to solve even for experienced scientists.

What are some strategies for approaching "Rotational motion problem from hell"?

Some strategies for tackling this problem include breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts, using visual aids or diagrams to understand the problem better, and consulting with other experts in the field for their insights and perspectives.

Are there any real-world applications for "Rotational motion problem from hell"?

While this problem may seem purely theoretical, it has practical applications in fields such as engineering, robotics, and astrophysics. Solving complex rotational motion problems can help us better understand and develop technologies that rely on rotational motion.

What skills and knowledge are necessary to solve "Rotational motion problem from hell"?

To successfully solve this problem, one needs a deep understanding of rotational mechanics, including advanced mathematics, physics principles, and problem-solving skills. It also requires patience, creativity, and persistence to work through the complex calculations and arrive at a solution.