Acceleration of a Rotational Sphere on an Inclined Plane

In summary, the problem presented involves a solid sphere of mass M and radius R on an inclined plane with an angle of θ. The coefficient of static friction is μs and the sphere is assumed to roll without slipping down the plane. The correct equation for the acceleration of the center of mass of the sphere is a = gsinθ - μgcosθ, where gsinθ represents the acceleration due to gravity and μgcosθ represents the maximum static frictional force. The (2/5) factor is not included in the final equation as it is not relevant to the acceleration of the center of mass. The confusion was caused by not realizing that the question asked for the equation for the center of mass acceleration, not the
einstein18
Ok, I am trying to understand this problem on my practice exam and I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

Homework Statement

A solid sphere of mass M and radius R is released from rest on an inclined plane with an angle of θ. The coefficient of static friction for the sphere on the plane is μs. Assuming that the sphere rolls without slipping down the plane and that the static frictional force is at its maximum value, which of the following is the correct equation for the acceleration of the center of mass of the sphere?

Homework Equations

Since it is static friction and the sphere doesn't slip:
X-axis: Mgsinθ = Fstatic
Y-axis: Mgcosθ = N
Torque: Fstatic*R = I*alpha
alpha = a/R
I of solid sphere = (2/5)MR^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Simplifying the torque equation and making substituitions:
a = Fstatic*R^2 / I -> a = (μMgcosθ)R^2 / (2/5)MR^2 ->

a = μgcosθ/(2/5)

However, the answer is: a = gsinθ - μgcosθ

I see where the gsinθ comes from but I don't understand why its there if μ is static.
Also the thing that is confusing me the most, where does (2/5) go?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I just realized that if I solve for the X-axis equation i get the answer:

mgsinθ - f = ma
a = gsinθ - μgcosθ

But this is only true if the friction were kinetic. Also where does the rotational aceleration go?

Oh! The question asks for the equation of the acceleration of the center of mass of the sphere. Doh. I can't believe i just spent the past hour trying to figure this out...

Einstein eh :P

Related to Acceleration of a Rotational Sphere on an Inclined Plane

1. What is a rotational sphere on slope?

A rotational sphere on slope is a physical model used to demonstrate the motion of a ball rolling down a curved surface, such as a hill or ramp. It is often used in physics experiments to study the effects of gravity, friction, and other forces on the motion of an object.

2. How does a rotational sphere on slope work?

A rotational sphere on slope works by converting potential energy (stored energy due to the ball's position) into kinetic energy (energy of motion) as the ball rolls down the slope. This conversion is governed by the laws of motion and gravity, and can be influenced by factors such as the slope angle and surface material.

3. What can a rotational sphere on slope teach us?

A rotational sphere on slope can teach us about the principles of motion, such as acceleration, velocity, and energy conservation. It can also demonstrate how different factors, such as surface friction and slope angle, can affect the motion of an object. This can be applied to real-world situations, such as understanding the motion of cars on a curved road or the path of a ball in sports.

4. What are some real-world applications of a rotational sphere on slope?

A rotational sphere on slope has many real-world applications, including understanding the motion of objects on inclined planes (such as roller coasters or ski slopes), predicting the trajectory of a projectile (such as a thrown ball or a rocket), and designing efficient transportation systems (such as highways and train tracks).

5. How is a rotational sphere on slope related to other scientific concepts?

A rotational sphere on slope is related to several other scientific concepts, including Newton's laws of motion, gravity, and energy conservation. It is also closely connected to other branches of physics, such as mechanics and thermodynamics, and can be applied to various fields such as engineering and sports science.