1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Roulette ball trajectory (after impact)

1. Apr 28, 2008 #1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is not really a homework, but it can be viewed as one. I am trying to design the animation for a roulette ball, but I stumbled over a problem. On a real roulette wheel just over the numbers, there are some small bumps (i don't know the technical name) that make the trajectory of the ball change. Knowing the direction, the speed and the mass of the ball, what will be the new direction of the ball, after the collision with the bump?

The ball is moving over a curved trajectory, but, on small portions, it can be considered linear. Also the bumps can be approximated with an ellipse, or even a circle.

Any help is appreciated... some links or even a start point for my research.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2008 #2
    Hi alin, que bumps are diamonds , i know that if the ball hit the diamond in the top of the diamond jamp to the next diamond and falls to yhe numbers, and if it hit a in the middle and botton falls directly to the diamonds. This information i get it from this link:http://www.myrulet.com/forums/advanced-roulette-play/roulette-computer-inside-mobile-phone/
    (post 19) i hope, that is usefull.
    i am also trying to unsderstand the movemnt of the ball in roulette, i have a problem with finding the exact moment when ball get separete of the roulette wall, and start it descend, if you can help me eith that i will be very thankfull. ( sorry with my spelling i am from chile and i dont know very well to speek in english)
  4. Oct 6, 2008 #3

That is how the ball deccelerates on particular wheel.
    But it is always different.
    How it will bounce it depends on many factors.
    Yu can find some roulette video spins on utube, it may help you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?