Roulette ball trajectory (after impact)

In summary, the conversation is about designing the animation for a roulette ball and the problem of small bumps on the roulette wheel that affect the ball's trajectory. The bumps are referred to as diamonds and can be approximated with an ellipse or circle. The conversation also includes a link to a forum discussing the movement of the ball and a request for help with determining the moment the ball separates from the wall. The conversation ends with a suggestion to watch roulette videos on YouTube for reference.
Alin
Hello,

Homework Statement

This is not really a homework, but it can be viewed as one. I am trying to design the animation for a roulette ball, but I stumbled over a problem. On a real roulette wheel just over the numbers, there are some small bumps (i don't know the technical name) that make the trajectory of the ball change. Knowing the direction, the speed and the mass of the ball, what will be the new direction of the ball, after the collision with the bump?

The ball is moving over a curved trajectory, but, on small portions, it can be considered linear. Also the bumps can be approximated with an ellipse, or even a circle.

Any help is appreciated... some links or even a start point for my research.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• roulette.jpg
    roulette.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 399
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi alin, que bumps are diamonds , i know that if the ball hit the diamond in the top of the diamond jamp to the next diamond and falls to yhe numbers, and if it hit a in the middle and botton falls directly to the diamonds. This information i get it from this link:http://www.myrulet.com/forums/advanced-roulette-play/roulette-computer-inside-mobile-phone/
(post 19) i hope, that is usefull.
i am also trying to unsderstand the movemnt of the ball in roulette, i have a problem with finding the exact moment when ball get separete of the roulette wall, and start it descend, if you can help me eith that i will be very thankfull. ( sorry with my spelling i am from chile and i don't know very well to speek in english)

http://www.myrulet.com/index.php/roulette-ball-deceleration.html

That is how the ball deccelerates on particular wheel.
But it is always different.
How it will bounce it depends on many factors.
Yu can find some roulette video spins on utube, it may help you.

1. How does the angle of the roulette ball after impact affect its trajectory?

The angle of the roulette ball after impact plays a crucial role in determining its trajectory. The ball's angle at the moment of impact will determine the direction in which it bounces off the deflectors and ultimately where it lands on the wheel.

2. Can the speed of the roulette ball after impact be predicted?

Yes, with precise measurements and calculations, the speed of the roulette ball after impact can be predicted. However, external factors such as air resistance and friction can also affect the speed, making it challenging to predict with absolute accuracy.

3. How does the material of the roulette wheel affect the trajectory of the ball?

The material of the roulette wheel can have a significant impact on the trajectory of the ball. For instance, a wooden wheel may produce a more irregular bounce compared to a metal wheel, which can result in a less predictable trajectory for the ball.

4. Can the spin of the roulette wheel affect the trajectory of the ball?

Yes, the spin of the roulette wheel can influence the trajectory of the ball. The faster the wheel spins, the more centrifugal force acts on the ball, causing it to travel in a wider arc and potentially landing in a different position than if the wheel was spinning slower.

5. Is it possible to accurately predict where the roulette ball will land based on its trajectory after impact?

While it is possible to make educated guesses about where the roulette ball may land based on its trajectory after impact, it is challenging to predict the exact landing spot. Many factors, such as speed, angle, and external forces, can affect the trajectory, making it difficult to make precise predictions.